Half of new £65m Social Sciences building to be knocked down in massive blow for UoS

We’re not kidding

Half of the University of Sheffield’s new £65m Social Sciences building is to be knocked down and rebuilt after contractors discovered a structural problem with the build.

This means the completion will be delayed by up to 15 months, and the new finish date is now expected to be the summer of 2022.

Although there will be no added cost for the university, the news is still a big blow amidst financial loss from lockdown and criticism for ‘devastating’ staff cuts which threaten student learning.

The building is being erected on a former dam and reservoir plot, and construction started in May last year.

Contractor BAM said issues were found with the piling of the structure and in order to fix the problem, the foundations of the building will need to be replaced.

Materials dismantled from the current build will be recycled and reused when the building is reconstructed.

A university spokesman said: “BAM has let us know that there has been an issue with the construction of our new Social Sciences building that will result in remedial works and a significant delay to construction.

“Our priority is to ensure that the work can be carried out safely and that there is as little disruption as possible to people living close by.”