Sheff students are using bungee ropes and paddling pools to raise money for Alzhiemer’s

Next year they will swim all the way to France

The Uni of Sheffield’s Swimming and Water Polo team is swimming the English channel next year to raise money for Alzheimer’s UK.

Nine members of the club were due to swim the 21 miles from Dover to Calais this month, but the pandemic meant it had to be postponed.

The team decided to swim the distance virtually this year, with the money raised going towards the costs of making the real trip next year.

Rosie Rudin, who is organising the event, bought a large paddling pool and attached a bungee rope to a drainpipe so that she could swim the distance in her back garden.

The ingenious contraption

Rosie is swimming in memory of her late grandfather who passed away from the illness, and told The Tab: “This is an amazing cause to get behind. Every three minutes someone in the UK is diagnosed with dementia, and by 2025 it is predicted that over one million people in the UK will be living with it.

“A lot of hard work has gone into this project. We expect to complete the swim anywhere between seven and 28 hours, and we’ll be swimming without a wetsuit in sub 14oC.”

The channel swim is notoriously difficult, and the swimmers will have to battle through busy shipping lanes and freezing conditions to make it across.

You can donate to the team on their JustGiving and gofundme pages to help them meet their target of £4300.

Other stories recommended by this writer:

• Sheffield Uni tutor warns of threat to student learning from ‘devastating’ staff cuts

• In pictures: Thousands come together for Sheffield Black Lives Matter protest

The uni of Sheffield’s Career Service is recruiting for Hong Kong’s Police Force