In pictures: Thousands come together for Sheffield Black Lives Matter protest

Sheffield, we love you

On Saturday, Sheffield joined millions of people around the world protesting police brutality and systematic oppression, with around two thousand protestors gathering on Devonshire Green.

Credit: Hannah Robinson

Activists gave moving speeches about racism, police brutality and their experience of growing up Black. Their words were met with claps and cheers of support from the crowd. One of the speakers, Max, said: “Black people of Sheffield, keep your head up like you always do.”

Credit: Hannah Robinson

Another activist, Rochae, said: “There are many people that the system has failed, and we need to get justice for them. We all need to use our voices and speak out. It is truly amazing to see lots of people from different backgrounds all over the world coming together to protest and try and fight this.”

Credit: Hannah Robinson

A minute’s silence was observed by all protesters who took to their knee with their fists in the air before chanting “I can’t breathe” and “bring me peace,” in the name of George Floyd and all Black people who have lost their lives to police brutality.

Credit: Hannah Robinson

Speaking to The Sheffield Tab, another protester, Saisha, added: “I feel like for the first time in my life something might change. It feels like people have finally had enough, and I want to be part of that.”

Credit: Christine Emelone

The weather took a turn for the worse but as the rain poured, the morale didn’t drop. As the official protest began to end, one man began to play Amazing Grace and other songs on his saxophone.

Protesters who had begun to leave returned and gathered around the man, singing and dancing together. As songs such as Stand By Me, Don’t Worry, Be Happy and Changes were played, hundreds of people came together in further solidarity of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Credit: Hannah Robinson