Tributes flood in for Sheffield police officer killed on duty

PC Matt Lannie was described as ‘popular and funny’

Tributes have been pouring in for a police officer who died after a fatal motorbike crash on the afternoon of Tuesday 21 April.

PC Matt Lannie, 40, was on duty responding to reports of a car that had failed to stop when his motorcycle collided with a Toyota Avensis driven by a 64-year-old in Nether Edge, Ecclesfield. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Chief Constable Stephen Watson, of South Yorkshire Police, said: “It is with great sadness that we today pay tribute to our serving officer, PC Matt Lannie, who died in the line of duty.

“Dreadful events such as these serve to remind us of the great dangers that police officers confront every day in order to keep us all safe.”

Steve Kent, of South Yorkshire Police Federation, described PC Lannie as “a friend to many” who “loved his job in the roads policing group.”

Home Secretary Priti Patel also offered her condolences to PC Lannie’s family over Twitter and wrote: “The saddest news. Deeply tragic and my thoughts are with the family of this distinguished officer.”

To allow the public to pay their respects, police have set up a tribute email: [email protected].  

The investigation is currently ongoing and witnesses are urged to come forward with information by calling 101 and quoting incident number 374 of April 21.