10 virtual things to do if you are missing Sheff

How to enjoy the motherland from quarantine

There’s nothing like four weeks of government-mandated lockdown to show you there really is nowhere like Sheff. Lockdown has cruelly ripped us from the womb of our uni city, so we miss it more than ever. West Street, our many Wetherspoons, and even the hills that force us to cough up a lung… Sheffield, we want you back.

From spending our entire loan at Leadmill to actually going for a walk in the Peaks, we all need our dose of the Steel City.

So, here are ten virtual things we can do until our return.

1. West Street Live Poster Competition

Missing WSL? Want to see a poster designed by you when you return? Here is your chance! WSL is hosting a competition for a new drink poster. The only conditions are a “cheesy name, tacky pic and cheap price” with an absolute rule of “NO COMIC SANS”, according to their Facebook page.

2. The Tuesday Club, Live – Tuesday 21st April at 9pm

The Tuesday Club are hosting a live, virtual Garage special next Tuesday at 9pm with Tekkers, Cargo and Andy H. The stream goes live at 9pm here.

They have been hosting these livestreams for the last few weeks so if you are needing an earlier dose of TTC, catch up here.

3. Grave Park Animal Farm livestreams – every morning at 9:30am

If you are looking for a seasonal activity, Grave Park Animal Farm is bringing Spring to us via live stream every morning at 9:30am. You can watch the animals and if you’re lucky even witness the birth of new arrivals.

We want the baby lambs. Via Grave Park Farm on Facebook

Sometimes they go live at other times of the day too, so check their Facebook page for more.

4. Migration Matters online festival, June 15th – 20th

Migration Matters festival aims to celebrate artists and organisations from refugee, migrant and British backgrounds and their fifth annual-event will be held exclusively online.

There will be live-streamed music and theatre performances, international partnerships, online workshops, radio and podcasting sessions, talks with the University of Sheffield and many more.

The organisers said: “We feel it’s important that during these difficult and uncertain times as a festival we are delivering a programme which champions artists and organisations from refugee, migrant and British backgrounds, whose work celebrates migration and sanctuary.”

Head to their website for more…

5. Roar and Hallamnation livestreams

Although there are no definite plans for future livestreams, both of our Wednesday club nights have organised virtual events within the last few weeks so we can only hope for more! Grab a VK and keep an eye on the Roar, Pop Tarts and Hallamnation pages for future events.

The event last week even featured that b**ch Carole Baskin

6. The Leadmill livestreams

Similar to Roar and Hallamnation, there may not be concrete plans for future livestreams but The Leadmill has been providing virtual club nights for the past few weeks, including bringing Club Tropicana and Everything Now to our homes.

Please bring us more!

7. A classic Google Earth search

If you can’t wait until lockdown is over to see your favourite Sheffield spots, Google Earth is the next best thing. Just type in Sheffield on their website and have fun virtually exploring…

Miss u so much 🙁

8. Become a virtual builder

Follow in the footsteps of the students who have built the IC and Firth Court on Sims and The Leadmill on Minecraft and build your own creation. Whether it be on Sims, Minecraft or even Animal Crossing, which building will you choose to recreate?

From The Diamond to Hallam’s Collegiate campus and the Owen building, whatever you choose to build make sure you send us your creations!

9. Lockdown film scene challenge

The Sheffield group, Magic Lantern Film Club, have created a film-based lockdown challenge to keep us all entertained. The challenge is to recreate an iconic film scene in the comfort of your home. Be as creative as you can (no photoshop allowed!) and submit the photo to their Facebook page. Send it our way too and find the best ones on our Instagram.

Can you beat this attempt at Godzilla?

10. Sheffield colouring

According to the mental health charity Mind, the colouring and art can relax us by distracting us from our thoughts, giving us a focus for our emotions and stimulating our senses. Combine this with our favourite city and we have the perfect lockdown activity. Find more here.

For more inspiration of virtual things to do in Sheffield, take a look at this website. Stay safe, Sheff!