Why Sheffield’s coronavirus cases are so high

As experts warn the city has overtaken London in cases per 100,000

Sheffield has a higher number of coronavirus cases per 100,000 people than any other city in the UK, according to experts from Centre for Cities think tank.

The news comes amid deaths from the virus in the city nearing 100, and confirmed cases reaching 1,137.

But despite the grim milestone, there is a good reason for the high statistics and a medical expert has warned that they should be “taken with a pinch of salt.”

Sheffield has one of the highest rates of testing in the UK

Dr Lee, from the Uni of Sheffield, warned that a few weeks ago Sheffield was responsible for almost 10% of all tests in the country – even though the population is just 1% that of the UK.

He said: “It’s because Sheffield Teaching Hospitals have done lots and lots and lots of testing… there’s a huge discrepancy there.

“Don’t be alarmed by the figures – in a way we are lucky in Yorkshire. We are one of the quieter places in the country.”

Students have been urged to stay at home to stop the spread of the killer virus, and Dr Lee went on to say that by following the gov’s guidelines we can get out of lockdown faster.