Apply now to join The Tab Sheffield’s (lockdown-weary) team for Easter 2020

These are the roles on offer

We’ve reached that time of year when it’s time for me to hand over the reigns to our new editorial team and get back to finals.

We’re in unprecedented times that are set to continue long past this term, which calls for the best student journalists in Sheffield to cover everything as it happens.

Applications are now open for The Tab Sheffield’s new writers to take us forward from Easter onwards. You’ve got no excuse – what else are you actually doing in lockdown anyway?

But why join The Tab Sheffield? Here’s five reasons:

1. We report the best stories before the rest. We tell the stories students care about on campus, we’re often ahead of our rivals, and we like being first
  2. Everyone reads it. We’ve increased our audience figures hugely this year. We reach 300,000+ people a month on Facebook, and our articles get an average of 120,000 page views each month
  3. Get in the national papers. Over the last six months, 13 of our stories have made national newspapers or broadcasters. One of them, on Sheffield SU’s crazed crackdown on Halloween costumes, was in The Times, The Daily Telegraph, Daily Mirror, The Sun, the Daily Mail and the Daily Star front page all in one day!
  4. Meet new people. One of the best things about The Tab is you get to network with young, incredibly talented journalists at universities across the country. One day, they might be your boss
  5. Have fun. The Tab offers an amazing platform for you to get your work noticed in the industry if you’re doing it for your CV, but if not you can just have a laugh with your mates.

Sounds good, right? Here are the roles on offer:

News editors and news reporters

Breaking big stories is key to The Tab’s success and often these stories can reach the national press. Sheffield is a fast-paced and exciting city, with lots of things happening – especially now, when new information about the current outbreak is emerging every day – and you can follow this remotely.

Comment editors

Original and controversial – one of the most exciting roles. A chance to give your take on how your uni is dealing with Covid-19, what’s next for students, and any other spicy thoughts.

Social editors

We have a cross-platform following on Facebook, Twitter and Insta of 27,000 – we need people to keep our accounts spicy and fresh.

Video editors

Make the funniest, most engaging, most hard-hitting video for our social media accounts – it’ll be watched by thousands.

APPLY!

If you’d like to apply for any of these roles, email Ewan Somerville on [email protected] with a short paragraph explaining what you can bring to the role. DM us on Facebook or Twitter with any questions.