PSA: Introducing The Tab Sheffield’s team 2020-21

You won’t be disappointed

Easter is here, which means it’s time for me to focus on finals and introduce the amazing editorial team I’ve appointed to take The Tab Sheffield forwards into the next academic year.

I’ve been so proud of the work our writers have produced this year, and they should be too. We’ve cut through the noise on campus to report on the stories that students actually care about.

And ones that the nation cares about too: 13 of our exclusives since September have made national/international newspapers or broadcasters, including The Times, The Telegraph, Daily Mirror, CNN, BBC News, Channel 4 News and even (peaked) a Daily Star front page.

The Tab Sheffield’s exclusives in national and international media 2019-2020

We dared to call out Sheffield SU’s officers for their out-of-touch (and sometimes actually mad) policies. We’ve consistently held the Uni of Sheffield’s bosses to account for their lavish lifestyles and climate double standards. We’ve also expanded much more into Hallam’s gossip. And we’ve been the first to bring readers the campus coronavirus stories that matter.

True to tradition, we’ve done all the fun stuff too: from pigeons wreaking havoc in Hallam’s library to the student that built the IC on Sims. And our features team has been on fire – from the Sheffield students stranded in Peru during lockdown, to PSAs on social distancing.

This is why The Tab Sheffield’s articles are visited 120,000 times on average every month; people are reading our content more than ever. And I know our new team will continue to serve you, Sheff students, the very best that our two campuses and great city has to offer.

Jake Loader, Editor in Chief

Jake, a first-year Uni of Sheffield journalism student, has been firing out the news stories for us lately and is our new Editor in Chief. He said: “As editor I want to show off everything about being a student in Sheff – from the whacky to the funny to the serious, I want to make sure everyone’s story is covered.”

See Jake’s author profile here.

Hannah Robinson, Deputy Editor

Hannah, a first-year Hallam journalism student, headed up our features section this year and is a Tab long-timer. Now she’s taking on Deputy Editor. She said: “As we know, being a student in Sheff is the best so I wanna cover what exactly makes it the best. From nights on West St and fitties in the library to strikes (pls no more 😭) and more serious stuff. Everyone’s voice will be heard.”

See Hannah’s profile here.

Sophie Watson, Features Editor

Sophie, a second-year Hallam journalism student, has been brimming with incredible ideas over the last few months and is our new Features Editor. She’s the one to pitch if you’ve got a great Tab feature.

She said: “As features editor I’m excited to write about all the crazy and interesting things students in Sheffield get up to, especially when COVID-19 is all over. Within this role, I also want to make sure that both universities in Sheffield get more equal coverage too.”

See Sophie’s author profile here.

APPLY TO JOIN THEM

The Tab Sheffield is looking for news reporters and editors, opinion editors, meme-makers and video producers. Fancy applying to join us? Find out how from our outgoing editor Ewan Somerville here.