Breaking News

Breaking: All Sheffield Uni libraries close down due to coronavirus outbreak

‘Until further notice’

All libraries at the Uni of Sheffield are closing due to the coronavirus crisis.

The IC, Diamond, Western Bank and Med School library will shut from 9am tomorrow “until further notice”.

It comes as the government has urged everyone to avoid “all but essential” social contact, including public transport, pubs and restaurants, in an attempt to battle the Covid-19 pandemic sweeping the globe.

All classes at the uni are currently suspended and have been moved online.

Varsity is also cancelled, the uni gym is shutting from 10pm tonight, the students’ union is mostly shut and is moving services online, all SU events have been cancelled until Easter, most uni departments have closed down and campus has become deserted. Many students have gone home.

The IC is deserted anyway

Ten floors of the Arts Tower are in lockdown after a member of staff in the School of Architecture tested positive for coronavirus.

The uni said in an email to students this afternoon: “As part of a shared goal of keeping everyone healthy and safe, and in line with government guidance on social distancing, all library sites will be closed from 9am tomorrow (Wednesday 18 March 2020) until further notice.

“We will continue to support your learning and research through our full range of online resources. You can access books, journals and databases through StarPlus, via MUSE. You do not need a VPN connection.”

Latest on coronavirus in Sheffield:

Campus becomes ghost town

Varsity cancelled

Hallam cancels classes

Sheffield Uni cancels face-to-face teaching

UoS ski trip cancelled

Sheffield Hallam Uni faces criticism over slow response to coronavirus crisis