Breaking News

Breaking: Sheffield Hallam Uni cancels classes over coronavirus

Finally

Sheffield Hallam Uni has announced it is cancelling all normal classes from next week over the coronavirus crisis.

All lectures, seminars and tutorials will move online from Monday 23 March, following a transition period this week.

It comes as dozens of universities nationwide have told students to go home and shifted teaching online in a bid to stem the pandemic.

Hallam said in a statement on its webpage: “The University and its buildings remain open – our intention is to continue to deliver and maintain services.

“However, we will use the week commencing Monday 16 March to manage a transition to teaching and learning activities being delivered online wherever possible, which will be completed by Monday 23 March.

“The University has taken the decision to postpone or cancel all University related international travel with immediate effect.”

Cases of coronavirus in Sheffield surged by ten on Sunday to hit 13, Public Health England confirmed. Nationally, Covid-19 cases have hiked to 1,372, with the death toll climbing to 35. A total of 40,279 people have been tested in the UK.

One of those infected is a staff member at the University of Sheffield, forcing ten floors of the Arts Tower to go into lockdown for deep cleaning until Wednesday.

Announcing it is cancelling all face-to-face classes from tomorrow, Sheffield Uni said on Friday that it is “also aware of a small number of unrelated suspected student cases of the virus”.

While Sheffield Uni moved quickly before the weekend to take drastic action, Hallam has faced fierce criticism for its slow response.

Students have rounded on bosses for tweeting updates but not sending them to internal emails, and for offering little certainty on teaching arrangements.

Hallam is updating its coronavirus webpage with the latest advice.

Latest on coronavirus in Sheffield:

Coronavirus cases in Sheffield surge to 13

Sheffield Uni cancels face-to-face teaching over coronavirus

Sheffield Hallam Uni faces criticism over slow response to coronavirus crisis