Breaking News

BREAKING: Arts Tower in lockdown as Sheffield Uni staff member gets coronavirus

Ten floors are shut

A staff member from the Uni of Sheffield has tested positive for coronavirus, forcing an “immediate” shut-down of ten floors of the Arts Tower.

The worker at the School of Architecture is now self-isolating and the uni has that said it is “carefully monitoring the situation.”

Floors 9-19 are shut until Wednesday 18th March for deep cleaning, departmental emails sent to students this evening, seen by The Tab Sheffield, show.

One of the departmental emails sent to students announcing the diagnosis

The news comes amid calls for Boris Johnson to shut universities to help stop the spread of the deadly illness. Cases in the UK surged to 798 on Friday, the highest increase yet of 200 in 24 hours, and the death toll stands at 11.

Sheffield Uni said in an email to students: “We have been notified that a member of staff in the Sheffield School of Architecture has been diagnosed with coronavirus (COVID-19).

“We understand that this will cause you concern, but our colleague is now self-isolating and we want to reassure you that the university is carefully monitoring the situation. We are following guidance provided by the University and UK government and we are taking all action necessary to ensure your safety and wellbeing.

“We are closing Arts Tower floors 9 to 19 immediately (Friday 13 March 2020) until 9am on Wednesday 18 March 2020 for cleaning, in line with UK government guidelines. We will be in touch regarding teaching arrangements for the beginning of next week as soon as possible.”