Police up patrols after double shooting in Sheffield

Yet more gun violence in Sheff

Police are continuing to search for answers after a double shooting in Sheffield.

The “targeted attack” at a house in Shirland Place, Darnall, on Saturday night left two men, aged 34 and 27, hospitalised.

Three men, aged 40, 32, and 25, were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after the shooting in the eastern Sheffield suburb, but have since been released under investigation.

It is the latest in a wave of shootings in the city, including that of a 12-year-old boy who was described by police as an “innocent bystander” in a drive-by attack.

There was also gun violence at Kettle Black bar, Ecclesall Road, in January, a street home to many Hallam and Uni of students, and earlier last week in Broomhall, where many undergrads live.

Following the most recent shooting, police have upped patrols in an attempt to reassure the public.

Armed police and ambulances swooped on the scene in Darnall after the shooting was reported at around 10:10pm on February 22.

The two victims survived with non life-threatening injuries and have since been released from hospital. Following the attack, locals have described themselves as “petrified”.

This isn’t the first time gun violence has been seen in Darnall this year, with armed police called to a shooting in the area on January 24.

Detective Chief Inspector Jamie Henderson, of South Yorkshire Police, said: “I would like to reassure the community that this was a targeted attack and we will be carrying out additional patrols in the area.”

Anyone who has any information on any of the shootings should call South Yorkshire Police on 101.

Related stories recommended by this author

Sheffield struck by five shootings in first fortnight of January 2020

Man, 24, seriously injured in shooting on Broomhall student street

Man arrested after shot fired on Ecclesall Road