Teenager charged after bus driver stabbed in Sheffield city centre

It happened near Hallam’s campus

A 17-year-old boy has been charged after a bus driver was stabbed in Sheffield city centre.

The boy, who can't be named for legal reasons, has been charged with a total of six offences including robbery and wounding with intent.

He appeared before Sheffield Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.

Emergency services rushed to Arundel Gate on Sunday, near Sheffield Hallam Uni's campus, to reports of a bus driver being stabbed and attacked.

The driver, 40, had been stabbed twice – in his back and leg – and was taken to hospital but later discharged.

First Bus, his employer, said they were supporting his family "at this distressing time".

Det Ch Insp Jamie Henderson, of South Yorkshire Police, expressed his gratitude to quick-thinking bystanders and officers.

"Their actions meant that we were able to take control of the situation quickly, get the offender into custody and the victim to hospital," he said.

The boy has been charged with offences including wounding with intent, robbery, attempted robbery and affray.

Police say some of the charges relate to the two hours prior to the stabbing.

The Sheffield Tab is on the look out for new writers, video/insta gurus and meme-lovers. Sound fun? Sign up here and just drop our editors Ewan and Amber an email with any questions.