Image may contain: Crowd, Shopping Mall, Shop, Architecture, Street, Road, Pedestrian, Person, Human, City, Urban, Town, Building, Downtown

Mind and Goldman Sachs have teamed up to improve University of Sheffield mental health services

It’s part of a £1.5 million scheme

The University of Sheffield has been chosen to be a part of the new mental health programme, "Mentally Healthy Universities", introduced by global investment banking firm, Goldman Sachs, in partnership with mental health charity Mind.

The partnership is pledging £1.5 million to improve mental health at universities across the UK, including the University of Sheffield.

Goldman Sachs are one of the biggest recruiters of student graduates and are hoping to improve both student and graduate mental health as a result of the scheme.

This new partnership will allow Sheffield to provide support and specialist training, alongside existing programmes, in order to best improve student and staff mental health.

It will include resilience training for students and workplace wellbeing workshops for final year students who are about to graduate and begin their transition into the workplace.

The number of students disclosing a mental health condition doubled between 2012 and 2015, according to the Higher Education Statistics Agency, which shows that this programme arrives at a necessary time.

Within the scheme there will be particular emphasis on first and final year students, due to the difficulty of transition in these years. Richard Gnodde, CEO of Goldman Sachs, said: “The transition through higher education and into the workforce is often a challenging and pressurised time in young people’s lives.

“We believe employers have an important role to play in changing attitudes towards mental health through providing support, resources and open conversation around an often stigmatized subject."

Lindsay Doyle-Price from Sheffield Mind said: “We are really looking forward to working with the University of Sheffield and appreciate the commitment they have shown already to improving the mental wellbeing of their students. We will work closely with staff and students to enhance the support already provided, through a programme of specialist training and peer support."

This project reaches over 10 universities including the University of Cambridge, Bristol and Bath. University of Sheffield's involvement will begin in 2020.