Image may contain: People, Protest, Parade, Text, Crowd, Person, Human

Students in Sheffield will go on strike for climate change on Friday

#YouthStrike4Climate

Sheffield and the rest of the world is partaking in a global strike in aid of climate change on Friday (15th March).

Students and young people everywhere will strike from university and school to demand action on the rapid descent of our world's climate.

This growing problem can no longer be ignored and it is time to take united action and spread the word that we are not going to watch our planet perish.

The protest is taking place Friday 15th March at 11am-2pm outside Sheffield Town Hall on Pinstone Street.

Students striking on the 15th of March have issued an open letter stating: "We are going to change the fate of humanity, whether you like it or not."

It goes on to say: "United we will rise on 15 March and many times after until we see climate justice. We demand the world’s decision makers take responsibility and solve this crisis.

"You have failed us in the past. [But] the youth of this world has started to move and we will not rest again."

Our government is clearly not taking any direct action in the face of climate breakdown – this protest is an important opportunity to hold our government accountable, and to demand those in charge to declare a climate emergency.

Last month thousands of young people skipped school and took to the streets to voice their frustration at the failure of our government and the older generations to confront climate change.

This month we are hoping for the protest to be even bigger and better. A global day of school strikes has been called, with about 60 countries expected to be taking part. This kind of action is imperative if we are to stop the devastating impacts of climate change.

The inspiration for this strike action has originated from Greta Thunberg who independently protested climate change by striking from school in Sweden in August 2018.

Every Friday she protests outside Sweden’s parliament to urge leaders to tackle climate change. Since her message went viral on Facebook and Twitter, thousands of young students around the world have joined in her efforts.

The strike is being supported by environmental campaign groups. The Green Party MP Caroline Lucas said: “Teachers work hard to prepare students for their future, but right now that future is at serious risk.”

As the older generations are slowly realising, the life of someone who is not born yet holds the exact same value of the lives of those who already exist. Without drastic action, we will be leaving an inhabitable planet for the generations to follow us.

Things are already rapidly deteriorating before our very eyes. If the disappearance of entire animal species does not open your eyes to the immediate need for change then unfortunately, you are waiting until its going to be too late.

This strike on 15 March is intended to be the biggest strike by far. Together we need to send an important message to those in charge – things must change, and FAST. So, please be part of the change and get involved in the #YouthStrike4Climate.