Image may contain: Office Building, Housing, Text, Architecture, Building, Wood

Sheffield Wednesday ‘disappointed’ as uni cancels fan event at Octagon

‘We fully understand the expected frustrations of our supporters’

A planned Sheffield Wednesday fan forum which was to be held on campus next week has been cancelled by Sheffield University.

The event was set to take place at the Octagon Centre on Thursday (20 December), but has now been pulled by the uni "to ensure the safety of students, staff and visitors."

The fan forum events have now been hosted by Sheffield Wednesday for a number of months, and give supporters the chance to question senior staff at the club about signings, costs, ticket arrangements, and more.

Sheffield Wednesday said in a statement: "We fully understand the expected frustrations of our supporters following this development but the decision was made entirely by the Octagon Centre despite our best efforts to provide assurances over their concerns."

The club has now promised to work to find a different venue for the event, and hopes to update supporters on this in the next few days.

A spokesperson from the University of Sheffield said: "In response to comments on social media, the risk assessment for this event has been reviewed and updated with regards to stewarding and safety.

“To ensure the safety of students, staff and visitors to our campus this booking has now been cancelled. We apologise to the club and fans for any inconvenience caused."

Wednesday are currently 18th in the Championship, and calls to sack manager Jos Luhukay have grown among fans after Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Swansea City.