Image may contain: Plant, Lavender, Flora, Smile, Portrait, Face, Person, People, Human

Sheffield Uni researcher Rahul has won The Great British Bake Off

BAKE BLACK AND GOLD

Sheffield Uni staff member Rahul Mandal has won this year's series of The Great British Bake Off.

Rahul was crowned the country's best amateur baker on Tuesday night as the popular Channel 4 competition came to a close.

He lives in Rotherham and works as a researcher at the University of Sheffield's Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre, and describes his job as "measuring things with light".

Rahul managed to win the judges over with his showstopper, which he managed to pull out of the bag despite having to start it again after breaking some glass.

He told the cameras: "It's the first time I've got something like this. I just, I don't know, I talk so much most of the time and I don't know what to say now.

"I don't know what to say. I don't know whether to laugh, to cry, or not, I need to talk with my mum."

He proved popular with viewers and judges Prue Leith and Paul Hollywood throughout the series.

Prue said: "He came in so unconfident and just really came into his own."

People took to his unique sense of pessimism and what Hollywood calls an "amazing sense of intensity". Some even compared Rahul to Eeyore, although he certainly has nothing to be upset about now.

After Rahul's success, not only is Varsity black and gold, so is the nation's favourite baking show.