Image may contain: Person, Parade, Human, Crowd

Staff at Sheffield Uni have voted to support more strikes over pay

69 per cent voted in favour of strike action

Staff at The University of Sheffield have voted in favour of more strikes as part of an ongoing pay dispute.

In a ballot on strike action carried out by The University and College Union (UCU), 69 per cent of Sheffield staff who took part voted to support strike action.

Sheffield is one of 10 universities where turnout in the ballot was over 50 per cent, meaning that staff can act on the results.

Huddersfield, Brighton, and Nottingham are among the other unis where turnout was big enough that staff will be able to legally strike over pay.

The UCU have now said its further and higher education committees will meet in the next few days to consider the results and their plan of action.

The dispute comes after made a final offer of 2 per cent at pay talks in May, which UCU say is not enough. Higher education pay has fallen in real terms by 21 per cent since 2009.

Sheffield Uni staff went on strike in February and March over changes to pensions, with some students occupying the Arts Tower in support of their cause.

Strikes over the 2018/2019 academic year are yet to be announced by the UCU but, if and when there is more industrial action, Sheffield lecturers that are part of the union are now set to take part.