Alternative LGBT+ Pride to be hosted in Sheffield

“An educational contrast to mainstream Pride”

Sheffield will play host to an alternative Pride event organised by University of Sheffield's LGBT+ Committee that will take place this Saturday (25th August).

Alternative Pride Sheffield, which has been planned in conjunction with the NUS LGBT+ Campaign, will not only celebrate the LGBT+ community in Sheffield as well as around the world, but will provide a contrast to the more corporate, sanitised Pride events that take place.

The committee believe that many identities that should be celebrated in Pride events such as people of colour, those with disabilities, trans people and women, are often marginalised and overlooked.

The organisers want to emphasise and educate that it was trans women of colour that started Pride, fighting the police and the state in order to protect the community. However, this part of LGBT+ history is often forgotten and the organisers of Alternative Pride Sheffield state that these people do get feel disconnected at the main Pride events.

The event also plans to support allies of the community, especially those who may not have the necessary resources to support those who identify as LGBT+, through talks and workshops. Some of these talks will be hosted by key figures such as Pav Akhtar and Lily Madigan.

Image may contain: Text, Label, Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure

The listing of events that will take place on the day

Through this event, the organisers want to provide a space that takes a step away from the "macro and micro aggressions of corporate Pride" and discuss progressive ideas on how the movement can be changed and modified.

Alternative Pride will be held at the Showroom in Sheffield city centre, beginning at 12pm and is open to all genders and sexualities. Additional information can be found via this link.

University of Sheffield

The Tab Sheffield

last seen today at 03:33

Get breaking Sheffield news straight to your WhatsApp.

Find out about the latest campus racism stories, mad shit happening in Corp, and if anyone decides to occupy the Arts Tower again. Straight into your DMs. 😘