Image may contain: Paint Container, Dye, Party, Person, People, Human

Sheffield Freshers’ Week: The events that matter in the first week and beyond

Your essential guide to the first fortnight

So you've got up early for the first time in ages, plucked up the courage to check UCAS, and found out that you're coming to Sheffield in September. Whether you're in at Uni Of, or in at Hallam, congrats! There's no judgement here, at least for the time being.

Instagram is full of UCAS screenshots. You're celebrating with your mates, and possibly someone off Love Island, in your tragic hometown club. Jeremy Clarkson's done another tweet about being rich. Life is good.

Believe it or not, life is about to get even better. Three years of lectures, seminars, nights out, nights in, and having the time of your life all lie ahead. Before any of that, though, it's Freshers' Week! To get you started, here are all the events in Sheffield that you need to know about.

Saturday 15 September – Sonic (The Leadmill)

Although a lot of Freshers' Week events will be on the pricier side, entry to Leadmill on the first Saturday is completely free. For over 35 years, the venue has become iconic, with several top gigs a week, and club nights where you can expect to hear indie bangers from Arctic Monkeys, Foals, Catfish, and many more. You can reserve your free entry Sonic ticket here.

Image may contain: Party, Person, People, Human

Sunday 16 September – Codechella (Code)

You've heard of Coachella, now get ready for 'Codechella'. Organised Chaos are putting on a festival-themed night at Code headlined by house duo Blonde, and with early bird tickets selling out in hours it is already one of the hottest tickets in town. More info is available here.

Tuesday 18 September – The Tuesday Club Freshers' Carnival (Foundry)

Entering its 20th year, Tuesday Club is Sheffield's dominant underground club night. It regularly attracts the biggest names in dance, with Bondax, TQD and Mall Grab all confirmed to appear this autumn. While the line up for the opening Carnival event, which runs from 4pm to 3:30am, is to be announced, you can guarantee beats and bass will be in no short supply.

Image may contain: Nature, Eruption, Person, People, Human

Tuesday 18 & Wednesday 19 September – Arctic Monkeys after-parties (The Leadmill)

While their new album has certainly divided opinion, Sheffield's own Arctic Monkeys sold out four hometown gigs across Freshers' Week at Sheffield Arena in no time. Whether you've got a ticket and want to go out after, or just fancy an excuse to get on your dancing shoes, Leadmill are organising after-parties on the Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

Image may contain: Poster, Working Out, Sports, Sport, Fitness, Exercise, Drink, Beverage, Alcohol, Glass, Person, People, Human

Wednesday 19 September – The Skool Disco (Corp), ROAR (Foundry)

Like in every other aspects of life, choices have to be made at uni. Trying to get yourself to that 9am lecture, or staying in bed. Putting the milk in first when you make a cuppa, or being wrong. Going to Corp on a Wednesday night in Sheffield, or going to ROAR.

Doubling as a live music venue, Corp is most famous among students for its infamous Skool Disco. It is basically compulsory – and cheaper entry – to wear a school shirt and tie, so dig out your sixth form gear and prepare for a night of nostalgic tunes. You'll experience the joy of your first blue pint, the confusion of your fourth, and the hell that is a Corp hangover.

Image may contain: Suit, Overcoat, Coat, Clothing, Party, Person, People, Human

Wednesday nights at Uni Of are all about sports, and if you're in a sports team the chances are that you'll be heading to ROAR every Wednesday night. Notorious for its fancy dress themes and messy atmosphere, if you're at Uni Of and want to live a sporty life then get ready to make a weekly date with Foundry.

Thursday 20 September – Club Tropicana (The Leadmill)

Voted Sheffield's best club night at the Exposed Awards this year, Club Tropicana is essential for anyone who loves eighties tunes. Expect to hear lots of Wham! (the clue's in the name), alongside the likes of Fleetwood Mac and Sheffield's own The Human League. While drinks may not quite be free, vodka doubles are just £2 with a regulars' card – expect inflatables, a party atmosphere, and even a free garland on entry.

Image may contain: Music, Leisure Activities, Party, Poster, Person, People, Human

Saturday 22 September – Pop Tarts (Foundry)

The best four words many Sheffield students can hear are "non-stop retro-pop." With all the cheesy hits from your childhood in one room, and 60s and 70s classics in another, Pop Tarts is known to sell out in minutes. While all the S Club and ABBA tunes might lead some to think they're too good for Pop Tarts, they're not. If anything, Pop Tarts is too good for them.

Sunday 23 September – Pale Waves (Foundry)

Not every event in Freshers' Week is drinking based, and Sheffield Students' Union have pulled out all the stops to book indie pop sensations Pale Waves for the Sheffield date of their debut album tour. After packing out a tent at Tramlines, the group have won comparisons to The 1975 and have been tipped as festival headliners of the future.

Image may contain: Poster, Collage, Portrait, Face, Person, People, Human

Tuesday 25 September – Wonderland (Code)

Part and parcel of Sheffield nightlife is a wide range of celebrity club appearances, and 'New Jack' from Love Island will be coming to Code in the second week of Sheffield freshers. It's part of their new club night Wonderland, which will have different themes every week. So if New Jack is your type on paper, this is your chance to grab that selfie.

Image may contain: Vermicelli, Pasta, Noodle, Food, Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Person, People, Human

Friday 28 September – Sub Focus and Gorgon City (Code)

Sheffield promoters Muzik Events have quickly built up a reputation for bringing some of the best acts in dance music to the Steel City, and have pulled out all the stops with their freshers event. The two different rooms will be headlined by the versatile Sub Focus and popular house duo Gorgon City, offering something for anyone into their dance tunes.

Image may contain: Woman, Girl, Female, Blonde, Person, People, Human

Photos credits: Leadmill, Tuesday Club, Roar, Pop Tarts, Corp, Code and Muzik Facebook pages.