Image may contain: Sunset, Sunrise, Sky, Red Sky, Outdoors, Nature, Dusk, Dawn

The University Of Sheffield has been named the 75th best uni in the world

It also ranks 13th in Britain

The University of Sheffield has been named the 75th best university in the world in new tables published today.

The QS World University Rankings also place Sheffield as the 13th best uni in Britain.

This puts us ahead of Birmingham, Nottingham, Leeds and York.

Unis are judged based on their reputations among academics and employers, the insights of academic faculties, citations per faculty, and international students.

The scoring backs up Sheffield's claims to be a leading research university, as well as showing the diversity of its student body.

Sheffield is also held in very high regard by academics and employers, who are clearly willing to overlook your messy ones on West Street.

Oxford has been named the best university in the UK and fifth in the world, with Cambridge in second and sixth respectively.

We have gained seven places at a global level since last year, where the same rankings rated it the 82nd best uni in the world.

Nor is Sheffield alone in making significant improvements, with twice as many British unis rising in the rankings as those that have fallen.

There is no sign of Sheffield Hallam in the list of the world's top 1,000 unis.

The full tables can be viewed here.