Arctic Monkeys’ new album is their most divisive so far – but also one of their best

It’s nothing like that first record

Hide Images

It's been five years since Arctic Monkeys' fifth album, which saw the group take their success to new levels, sent Tumblr (remember Tumblr?) into overdrive, and trebled sales of leather jackets everywhere.

With Alex Turner, his band and legions of loyal fans all half a decade older, Sheffield's favourite sons are now returning with their sixth effort, Tranquility Base Hotel and Casino.

We've heard it – and it will seriously divide opinion. Ahead of its release on Friday, here is a track-by-track rundown of easily the most anticipated indie release of this year. Thank us later.

Star Treatment

What it's like: Things kick off with a killer opening line about The Strokes, Blade Runner and 1984 references, and Alex Turner on scathing lyrical form. This opener sets up the album as closer to a Last Shadow Puppets record than previous AM works.

Stand out lyric: "Who you gonna call, the Martini police?"

Out of 10: 8

One Point Perspective

What it's like: Another slower and reflective number, this time based around an insistently catchy piano line. There's references to the apocalypse and tears, which will sum up at least some of indie Twitter after they hear the album.

Stand out lyric: "Bear with me man, I lost my train of thought"

Out of 10: 7

American Sports

What it's like: Did you know that Alex Turner lives in and likes America? You will by track three. America crops up time and time again on this album, with American Sports taking in ever so timely topics of fake news and political tension.

Stand out lyric: "My virtual reality mask is stuck on Parliament brawl"

Out of 10: 8.5

Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino

What it's like: The title track sums up many of its qualities – slow, but layered and intriguing; lyrically poetic, more so than previous works; and obsessively in tune with its main two themes of space and technology. With poignant "ooh"s and a slightly dissonant feel, this is a melancholy masterpiece.

Stand out lyric: "Technological advances really bloody get me in the mood"

Out of 10: 9

Golden Trunks

What it's like: More guitar based than the tracks that come before it, there are still harmonies aplenty in this menacing tune which sees Turner ponder the downright surreal Trump era.

Stand out lyric: "The leader of the free world reminds you of a wrestler wearing golden trunks"

Out of 10: 7

Four out of Five

What it's like: You'll have heard some of this in the album trailer posted by the group. A brooding, AM-style guitar riff sees the group on top form. With arguably the best vocal performance on the album, it's also guaranteed to be in your head after two listens.

Stand out lyric: "New places keep on popping up since the exodus, it's all getting gentrified"

Out of 10: 9

The World's First Ever Monster Truck Front Flip

What it's like: Opening with sharp keyboard stabs and surreal harmonies, Turner is on sultry form here, singing "you push the button and I'll do the rest." As to be expected from the fantastic title, there are metaphors left, right, and centre. With beautiful backing vocals throughout, the song feels both slightly eerie and gloriously rich in its sound.

Stand out lyric: "There are things that I just cannot explain to you, and those that I hope I don't ever have to"

Out of 10: 8.5

Science Fiction

What it's like: Crunchy guitars, weird background noises and menacing piano lines combine in a tale of swamp monsters and disco lizards. It would fit in well enough on the group's 2009 album Humbug, while continuing the space theme of this record.

Stand out lyric: "I must admit you gave me something momentarily in which I could believe"

Out of 10: 8

She Looks Like Fun

What it's like: More of a stomping glam-rock track than the indie-rock that the group initially became famous for, She Looks Like Fun feels like it's trying a little bit too hard. While there's a lot going on, and some fantastic harmonies, it doesn't flow especially well.

Stand out lyric: "There's no limit to the length of the dickheads we can be"

Out of 10: 6

Batphone

What it's like: With further lyrical references to cinema and technology, Batphone is a yearning ode to one of Turner's flames. There are traces of hip-hop in the production, calling to mind the group's last album, but this still very much has the Tranquility… sound.

Stand out lyric: "I've recognised the glow of your low beams numerous times through fairly opaque blinds in the city moon"

Out of 10: 8.5

The Ultracheese

What it's like: It's actually a lot like Que Sera, Sera. Other than a delightful solo, this is an upbeat piano number, and a sing-song you'll hug your mates during at Sheffield Arena in September.

Stand out lyric: "Trust the politics to come along when you were just trying to orbit the Sun"

Out of 10: 8