Image may contain: Bottle, Person, People, Human

Sheffield’s VC claimed a £3,000 five night, five-star hotel in Singapore on expenses for him and his wife

Alright for some

According to a Channel 4 Dispatches show, shown this week, it's been found that Sir Keith Burnett claimed £3,107.54 for a five-night stay at the five-star Mandarin hotel in Singapore for him and his wife.

Furthermore, public expenses files have found that Keith Burnett has also spent £4,700 on expenses since 2008. However, we were unable to find the Singapore expense claims in the public documents, and the University haven't commented on where this figure came from.

The Tab also found that £23,500 has been spent on 'removals and relocation' for the executive board since 2009 at the University of Sheffield.

'Removals and relocation' refers to when a new member of staff joins the University, and need to travel to a new home following relocation. The university covers the transportation and storage personal belongings, and the costs of temporary accommodation until a permanent home is purchased.

Further research also found that Wyn Morgan, the vice-president for education, spent £8,000 in just one year on 'relocation and removals'.

Dr Phil Harvey, the former registrar of the University of Sheffield, also spent £11,6700 on removals in just two years, from 2009 – 2011.

Furthermore, Dame Pamela Shaw, Vice President and Head of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, spent £856 just on taxis alone one year.

A spokesperson from the University of Sheffield said: "As an international university, developing partnerships with leading global companies and universities is an essential part of our long-term international strategy and part of the normal business expenditure of the university.

"At the request of the University's Council, Sir Keith has led a successful programme of building partnerships with prestigious institutions overseas, building our research profile in key areas of advanced manufacturing, health and innovation. Sheffield's international reputation and global partnerships also create opportunities for student exchange and international research, bringing prosperity to our city region through inward investment and international students."

Meanwhile, staff continue to strike at the University in demand of fairer pensions, after it emerged they could lose up to £10,000 per year off their pensions.