Image may contain: Person, People, Human

‘I will fight to protect participation grants’: An interview with Harry Hatter

He wants to be your next activities officer

Voting at the Students' Union Officer elections is now open, and the Activities Officer category is looking particularly competitive.

Among the candidates are korfball enthusiast and psychology student Cecilia Hudson-Molinaro, Music Players' Society President Luke Hawtin, and one time star of Tab Me Out, Harry Hatter.

Having swapped Taco Bell dates for Forge debates, he wants to win your vote – and told us why he thinks he is the best person for the job.

You are known to many of our readers after your Tab Me Out appearance last year. How did things go with that?

It didn’t work out, but I’m moving on, and my mind is fully focused on the post of Activities Officer.

What has inspired you to run for Activities Officer?

I only started to get involved in societies halfway through my second year at university, and it has improved my life far more than I thought possible-

At this point, Harry is suddenly overcome with emotion. A short break has to be taken.

Sorry about that. I guess activities have just had such a positive impact on me, and I want this for as many students as possible.

What kind of activities have you been involved in at uni?

I guess the main two are korfball and darts. I’ve met lots of great people in both of these societies and it’s so great to find things that you’re passionate about. Up the Tungsten!

How would you make activities at uni more accessible?

I will fight to protect participation grants, because I firmly believe that nobody should miss out on having the full student experience, regardless of how well off they are.

You yourself have Dyspraxia. Has this affected your engagement with or participation in activities?

It generally makes it harder to take part in things, but luckily being any good isn’t a requirement of being in the Darts Society. I do think my own experiences with Dyspraxia have made me more aware of how important it is to make societies and activities as accessible as possible to everyone.

You performed well in the debate but, for those who didn’t see it, how would you summarise your policies?

Aside from making sure no one is priced out of activities, my other main points are greater mental health training for committees so that they can look after their society members, building connections with local charities and organisations so that student volunteering is more effective, and making more university property available to students for social activities.

What sets you apart from the other candidates?

One of the main things is my paper-free campaign, with no leaflets or flyers.

Sum up why people should vote for you in one sentence.

I will make activities and societies even better and more accessible to all.