Arctic Monkeys could be set to play Hillsborough Park this September

A licensing application for four nights of live music has been made

Hide Images

A new licensing application has been made for four nights of live music at Hillsborough Park in September which are thought to be huge Arctic Monkeys hometown gigs.

Sheffield Vibe, which is part of RMC Media, has learnt today that the subject of the application is indeed the Sheffield indie four piece.

The application has been made by major promotional company SJM Concerts Ltd, who have worked with the group on some of their previous tours, as well as their huge outdoor Finsbury Park gig in 2014.

A notice, which has been placed in Hillsborough Park by Sheffield City Council, reads:

“SJM Concerts Ltd have made an application under Section 17 Part 3 of the Licensing Act 2003 for the grant of a Premises License for the Premises known as Hillsborough Park, Middlewood Road, Sheffield.

"SJM Concerts intend to conduct on or from the premises the following licensable activities:

"Sale by retail of alcohol [and] the provision of regulated entertainment; provision of live music, provision of recorded music…

"For up to a maximum of 4 dates during the month of September during the hours 16:00 and 22:30.”

The times specified are consistent with similar large outdoor concerts that have taken place in Sheffield, as well as the timings of events such as Tramlines Festival, also taking place at Hillsborough Park this year.

Naturally, social media has lit up with speculation that the live music in question will come from Alex Turner and co, and the RMC article only appears to confirm this.

With the conspicuous absence of Arctic Monkeys from both the Tramlines and Leeds Festival line ups, the September dates could finally mark their return to Yorkshire.

Sheffield City Council is inviting comments on the application by 14 March.

Having not released anything for five years, Arctic Monkeys are likely to put out their sixth album this year. They have already been announced for TRNSMT festival in Scotland, as well as a range of European shows.

Anticipation has a habit to set you up for disappointment, so don't get too excited just yet, but there's certainly a chance that Hillsborough Park will change when the sun goes down this autumn.