Image may contain: Hat, Clothing, Cap, Beanie, Person, People, Human

‘The sky is the limit’: Skepsis on the rise of bassline, his love of Sheffield and his Tuesday Club debut

He joins Darkzy, Notion and more next month

This time last year, London bassline producer Skepsis was juggling DJ appearances with dissertation work.

Since then, he has played to thousands alongside acts including Chase & Status, announced a huge headline tour, and gone global following support for his tunes from dance music heavyweights Diplo and Jauz.

Ahead of his first ever Tuesday Club appearance at the Crucast takeover event next month, he spoke to us about TTC, the ever growing bassline scene and his most memorable appearances in the Steel City to date…

How are you feeling about playing Tuesday Club for the first time?

I'm really excited to be honest! It's somewhere I've wanted to play for a while. TTC has been putting on crazy line ups for years, so it's a definite achievement for me. All the videos look insane too!

Sheffield is widely known as the home of bassline music. What stands out about it for you?

The sheer passion and energy of the crowds there are insane! Some of my best memories are playing in clubs like Tank and the O2 Academy. Even when I play unreleased stuff the reaction is lively. Look forward to what this night has in store.

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

What have been your most memorable appearances in the city to date?

As I just mentioned, would have to be at Tank in March last year. Had a few other people make surprise appearances – if you know you know! Either that or Detonate Sheffield last Halloween.

Bassline is constantly growing and earning more recognition as a genre – where do you think the scene is heading?

At this rate, who knows! It's crazy what's been happening recently. I'm just going to keep working and then hoping it pays off. The sky really is the limit!

Only last year, you were working on your dissertation and graduated from uni yourself. What's your advice for aspiring DJs and producers still at uni?

DON'T QUIT! Remember why you are at university, and don't lose focus of that. I managed to complete my course, you just have to manage your time correctly and make sacrifices at times. Good luck to anyone going through a similar situation!

Finally, what does Crucast have in store for the students and ravers of Sheffield on 27 February?

It's hard to put into words to be honest…I'd suggest coming down to find out! High energy and crazy tunes are guaranteed.

Skepsis plays The Tuesday Club's Crucast takeover alongside Darkzy, Notion and more on 27 February.