Image may contain: Umbrella, Canopy, Graduation, Person, People, Human

Breaking: Detained Sheffield student Ahmed Sedeeq has been temporarily released

He had been detained since 18 December

Sheffield PhD student Ahmed Sedeeq, who has been locked up since 18 December for overstaying a visa, has been temporarily released.

An update was issued this morning by Ahmed's friend Alvin Pastore, who created a petition in support of Ahmed which now has over 10,000 signatures.

Alvin wrote: "This Friday morning brings good news! I just finished speaking to Ahmed over the phone.

"He informed me that he was released yesterday evening, temporarily and subject to detention and deportation with no guarantee to continue his studies.

"The reasons for his release are still unclear and only the solicitor can help clarify his position.

"He asked me to thank each and every one of you immensely for supporting him."

Yesterday, The Tab exclusively revealed the shocking conditions endured by Ahmed over Christmas at Morton Hall detention centre after he accidentally overstayed his visa. Four people are thought to have taken their own lives in the last year at the facility.

Ahmed was kept in a "tiny, dirty" room with no toilet, no regular food and no medication as his physical and mental health worsened significantly.

Since then, the petition has passed 10,000 signatures, as well as receiving support from Natalie Bennett, the former Green Party leader who stood in Sheffield Central at the 2017 general election.

The University of Sheffield have said they "can't comment" on specifics to do with the case. When pressed for comment yesterday, the Home Office told us that "detention and removal are essential parts of effective immigration controls."

He is still set to be deported and there is no certainty that he will be able to continue his Software Engineering studies, on which he has spent £57,000 in tuition fees over the last four years.