Image may contain: Crowd, Graduation, Party, Troop, Team, Soldier, Military Uniform, Military, Army, Person, People, Human

Sheffield Advent Calendar 2017: What’s on every day between now and Christmas

Carols, club nights and cracker making

You will always be spoilt for choice in Sheffield, which is especially the case in the run up to Christmas. Here is our run down of the highlights

Early December

Pick names out of a hat for your secret Santa presents with your housemates because there’s nothing better than getting a £1 gift from Aldi as an early Christmas present.

All of December

Christmas Markets – Get your mulled wine on the go, because the Christmas markets are in town from the whole of December right through to Christmas Eve.

1st – Propaganda: Louis Theroux Appreciation Party

Image may contain: Television, TV, Screen, Monitor, LCD Screen, Electronics, Person, People, Human

Yes, it’s Plug. Yes, it’s Propaganda. However, a club night dedicated to a true national treasure is overdue. There’ll be Theroux face masks and T-shirts, and, after enough £1 vodka lemonades, the tunes will sound decent enough.

2nd – Peddler Night Market

Also taking place on 1st December, recent Peddler Night Market events have seen it become a student hotspot due to the exquisite street food, craft beer and live music on offer. In addition to all of these, there’ll be plenty of mulled wine and cider to go round courtesy of local traders.

3rd – Yellow Arch Christmas Beer Festival

Yellow Arch Studios will be hosting a Christmas Beer Festival that guarantees a Sunday fun day, with a range of guest breweries, street food vendors and local musicians. Entry is just £1.50 and includes a reusable pint glass.

4th – Elf Christmas Screening at The Leadmill

Head over to The Leadmill to watch everyone’s favourite Christmas Film. Also on offer will be candy cane cocktails, popping candy popcorn and Christmas hats and gifts. You’ll need a table of four to watch the film with, or you can go VIP and get two bottles of bubbly included for you and nine friends.

5th – Free Mince Pie Day at Bar One

This is not a drill. The first Tuesday of December sees Bar One give out what we can only assume will be hundreds of mince pies for free. The event description specifies “while stocks last”, so make sure you get down early if you want one…or two.

6th – Bongo’s Bingo

Everyone’s favourite night of mayhem returns once more for a night of Bingo fun. Expect plenty of Christmas songs and Christmas cheer.

7th – Souljam: Festive Funk

Souljam returns to Sheffield with a Christmas special at The Harley. Expect to hear everything from soul to disco, with the added treat of “funky festive cuts.” First release tickets sold out rapidly, so be quick if you want in on the funkiest Christmas club night this month.

8th – Abbeydale Picture House Christmas Party Weekend

From 8th-10th December, Abbeydale Picture House will host festive markets and music. Run by CADs trust and Sheffield Antiques Quarter’s Christmas Market, there will also be a Christmas quiz, bingo and, of course, mulled wine.

9th – Christmas Roller Discos at 92 Burton Road

Peddler present a combination of a three course meal and a roller disco that you’re unlikely to find anywhere else. Tickets are £35 which includes starter, main and dessert, Prosecco on arrival and your skates for the disco.

10th – Film Unit Cinema Takeover: Home Alone

Showing at 3.30pm and 7.30pm, this free event will see the SU cinema showing festive classic, Home Alone. The showing is arranged by local charity, Buzz Sheffield.

11th – Streetfood Warehouse

Image may contain: Furniture, Couch

With pop up dining from all corners of the globe, fairy lights, candles and a bar, get your aesthetically pleasing street food fix at Trafalgar Warehouse on the 11th. Bonus points if you avoid the temptation of Monday Corp afterwards.

12th – Tuesday Club Christmas Special

If it’s bevs and a boogie that you’re craving this winter, The Tuesday Club Christmas special ticks both boxes. Headlined by Blonde, and also featuring Conducta, MJ Cole and Endor, expect deep house, deep basslines and a deep sense of regret the next morning.

13th – Bar One Christmas Party and Christmas ROAR

To celebrate the last Wednesday of term, Bar One is putting on another of its legendary Christmas parties, from 2pm until half past midnight. There will be Christmas giveaways all day and Rory Claws giving out presents from 4pm.

Hundreds of students will then head down to Foundry for the biggest ROAR of the year”, with the usual student anthems, Christmas giveaways and the chance to get very merry indeed after a few VKs.

14th – Love Actually screening and Club Tropicana at The Leadmill

Leadmill are pulling out all the stops on the 14th, starting with a screening of classic romcom Love Actually. Tickets are already flying for the evening, perhaps unsurprising at a time when the “special relationship” certainly is covering all manner of sins.

Love Actually will be followed by a very special ‘Last Christmas’ edition of the club’s hit eighties night Club Tropicana. Get your naff Christmas jumpers and those all-important regulars’ cards at the ready.

15th – Applebum Sheffield Xmas Carnival

Applebum will be returning to Code on the last day of the semester, following a sold out event there in Freshers’ Week and the Halloween instalment at The Harley. Code and Code Warehouse will be used to full effect, with plenty of grime tunes as well as hip-hop and R&B.

16th – Sheffield Students’ Union Christmas Vegan Festival

Image may contain: Meal, Breakfast, Yam, Sweet Potato, Pepper, Bell Pepper, Bowl, Vegetable, Produce, Plant, Food, Flora, Carrot

The second Sheffield SU Vegan Festival has a festive theme, with talks, film screenings, and food from Sheffield’s numerous quality vegan restaurants and vendors. Whether you’re a vegan or just want to try something new, there will be something on offer for everyone.

17th – Hillsborough Christmas Market

Market stalls, entertainment and even Father Christmas himself come to Hillsborough Arena on Middlewood Road for its Christmas Market, perfect for last minute gifts and decorations as well as seasonal treats.

18th – Latin American Christmas

Pachamama on Abbeydale Road is offering a Latin American Christmas Menu where £18 will get you three courses. It is likely to be very busy, so booking in advance is highly recommended by the restaurant.

19th – Yoga Xmas Get Together

The Leonies Yoga Pilates Christmas social will take place on the second floor of Union Street, where a mouth-watering display of Taiwanese food will be provided for a tenner.

20th – A century of magic in Sheffield and Christmas Carols at The Ball

In partnership with the University of Sheffield, Professor Vanessa Toulmin is giving a talk on the history of magic and magicians in Sheffield at Central Library. At The Ball pub in Crookes, meanwhile, there will be carols and festive tunes to get you in the Christmas spirit, if you aren’t already.

21st – Christmas Cracker Making

Fancy yourself when it comes to sewing? If you have a spare £22 lying about, you will be able to make a lovely fabric Christmas cracker at Happy Hare on Arundel Road.

22nd – The Rave Before Xmas at The Harley

Prefer your Christmas to be soundtracked by bassline instead of Buble? The Harley have you covered with The Rave Before Xmas, which features sets from Torqux and Taiko. There’s also an exclusive dubstep set from Deadbeat UK, so you can party like it’s the back of the school bus in 2011.

23rd – Code Student Saturday

Still in Sheffield on 23 December? You may as well embrace the fact that you’re in the Steel City for the last Saturday before Christmas, and go all out on the £2 drinks at Code’s infamous Student Saturday.

24th – 12 hours of WSL

If you’re still in Sheff on Christmas Eve, there’s only one place you’re realistically going to end up. Opening extra early at 4pm and staying open until 4am, see in Christmas Day surrounded by locals and an imminent sense of regret in West Street Live. We wish you a merry Schit-mas, and a hungover New Year.