Image may contain: Portrait, Person, Human, Face, Back

The crisis in men’s mental health shouldn’t be ignored any longer

Men are significantly more widely affected

Last weekend was International Men's Day, which has been celebrated since 1994 as a means of raising awareness of multiple issues of health and well-being affecting men and boys.

It also functions as a means of celebrating positive male role models and to improve gender relations. Sadly, you probably would not have guessed this from lack of mainstream coverage and a quick read through Twitter.

We should all fight gender inequalities

Someone described International Men's Day as "cancelled" in light of recent scandals. Another charming individual implied that every single sex assault is down to men. Recent high profile cases are awful beyond words and reflective of a huge problem with our misogynistic society, but should not be used to try and invalidate issues affecting LGBT+ men, men of colour, and those who struggle with mental health.

Especially glaring was the lack of acknowledgement from a small but vocal minority with regards to men's struggles with mental health. Just as all men should fight inequalities affecting women, such as the pay gap and everyday discrimination, all women should fight inequalities affecting men.

Men's mental health stigma remains huge

Only recognition of the issues at hand can lead to the equality that everyone should want to be achieved. Suicide is the leading cause of death among men under 45 in Britain, and 76 per cent of suicide victims are male. Seven suicides at the University of Sheffield alone have been reported in the last three years.

While one suicide victim is one too many, this shocking statistic shows men are disproportionately affected and feel unable to speak out, due to the stigma that exists in society.

It's time to talk and act

Of men who contemplated suicide and have since spoken out following recovery, at least a third have said they "didn't want anyone to worry". It is far from okay for people to assume that attempts to shine a light on these serious issues are themselves an example of inequality.

At the end of the day, all issues of gender and gender inequality deserve our attention, not just the privileged, very selective concerns of the likes of Lena Dunham. If a man was to lash out at International Women's Day, which similarly functions to raise awareness of the glaring inequalities and prejudices affecting women, he'd rightly be treated with contempt.

No one should suffer in silence with their mental health. Some have become too quick to dismiss vulnerable men's concerns and struggles for a few retweets. These attitudes, as well as society's wider patriarchal attitudes to gender which reinforce the stigma, have to change.

Sources of help and support if you or anyone you know is struggling:

CALM helpline – 0800 58 58 58

Mind infoline/email – 0300 123 3393 / [email protected]

Samaritans – 116 123