Libraries at University of Sheffield have got busier by 15 per cent over the last two years

IC use has particularly increased

New data shows that libraries at the University of Sheffield are getting busier, especially the IC, although the Diamond's popularity is down.

Following a request that was submitted by masters student, Robin Wilde, under the Freedom of Information act, a range of fascinating facts and figures around the use of Sheffield's libraries have emerged.

While this year's figures aren't officially out yet, the latest numbers show that library use since 2015 has increased by a significant 15 per cent. This is despite the fact that student numbers at the University of Sheffield have actually fallen over this time.

The Information Commons (IC) is the library that has mainly benefited from the growing popularity of the uni facilities. Six per cent more students now use the IC, and the average visit time has gone up by eight per cent.

A 2017/18 estimate suggests that this figure will rise to an increase of 20 per cent, meaning the IC should be even busier in exam season.

The data also reveals that use of the deeply underrated Western Bank in October 2017 was up 16 per cent compared to October 2016, consolidating its status as a preferred study space for many, and a last resort for others.

An exception to the rule, use of the Diamond has dropped by around four per cent in the last year, following a 25 per cent increase in visits the year before. Time spent there has also fallen by eight per cent since it opened.

In short, library use has gone up by almost a fifth, it turns out Diamonds aren't forever, and it's now even harder than ever to get a seat in the IC.