Image may contain: Vehicle, Transportation, Bike, Bicycle, Restaurant, Food Court, Food, Pub, Bar Counter, Market

The Sheffield Christmas lights are being switched on this Sunday

Is there a better way to start the festive period?

The cold days are setting in, the nights are coming in quicker and the shops are putting their advertisements of festive deals on large, red, cardboard baubles. This can only mean one thing: we're close to Christmas.

Sheffield kicks off its festive period with the switching on the city's Christmas Lights on Sunday 19th November, hosted this year by presenters from the radio station, Heart Yorkshire. As well as the switch on, the event will be accompanied by the extremely popular Christmas Market on Fargate, where you can purchase seasonal foods, beverages and gifts, as well as street performers and the fairground rides. And entry to the event is absolutely free, so money can be no object.

The event starts from 2pm at the Peace Gardens, continuing right through until 6.30pm, all over the city centre. With the Christmas Market already being open, it's a great way to get into the festive spirit and is described as one of the most anticipated events in the Sheffield calendar.

Image may contain: Urban, Town Square, Town, Plaza, Downtown, City, Building, Architecture

The Peace Gardens will be hosting the very popular event

So whether you're already wrapping presents and getting the Christmas compilation albums on repeat, or you're just looking for something to do this Sunday afternoon, get yourselves down to this annual event, which is sure to be very popular with students and locals alike.