How to make the most of uni by someone who’s done it all before

Because there’s more to being a student than just getting on the sesh

Early October has come around quicker than you'd realised, and the actuality of uni is probably setting in. You're a student. You no longer live at home. You're a bona fide adult now, you wash your own clothes and all. It's all new and exciting and amazing and so it should be.

Three years probably feels like a lifetime away and those stressed-out looking final years seem like something you'll never become. Three years is a long time, true. But before you know it, those three years will be long gone and you'll be missing your (probably) rank student house, slugs, mould and all.

So, make it memorable.

Join a sports society (even if you're rubbish at sports)

Sports societies are ace, and so welcoming even if you're not good at sports. Plus, they're always huge so if you're not an olympic hopeful, it's pretty likely there'll be some others there who aren't too good either – it's just for fun, and you meet loads of new, fantastic people.

And the socials at Roar aren't half bad either.

Yours truly looking worse for wear. Ta, hockey.

Don't put things off

A classic mistake that everyone makes, and, no matter how many articles you read telling you not to, you probably still will. Every city has so many amazing things to experience, and though you tell yourself you're *definitely* going to head to the peaks/Abbeydale/Kelham Island, you won't unless you do it. So do!

Go out, even if it doesn't seem like a good idea at the time

The best nights are nearly always the unplanned ones. Plus, when you leave you'll remember the nights out over the nights in – and first year doesn't count, so you might as well have some fun with it.

Don't rush into picking second year housemates

Honestly, it's the people you're with that make your uni experience. There's always a rush in December/January to get 'the best houses' and it's hard to know who to live with – to be fair, you've only known your potential housemates for a few months at this point – but everyone is pushing and trying to sort out accommodation and it can feel overwhelming.

The likelihood is (unless you're at uni in a tiny city, maybe) you will be able to get a house later in the year, and probably end up happier with your housemates as you've got to know them better before choosing.

Go abroad if your uni offers it

Taking a year out and doing a four year degree was the absolute best decision I made at uni, and getting to live abroad for a year was incredible. Usually, it's the same as first year and doesn't count – the icing on the cake.

And if you've not had enough after three years (and honestly, who has?)

Do a masters

Because who wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity to spend another year studying a subject you (hopefully?) enjoy, exploring a new city, and generally having an excellent time.

Take it from an oldie – uni is the best time of your life, and you won't know it until it's over.