Being a live-at-home student isn’t that bad

It’s actually quite good

With the cost of living and tuition fees seemingly always on the rise, living at home for university is looking like a more and more appealing option to many students. While it does have it's pros and cons, the good definitely outweighs the bad and here's why.

You can do your own food shop if you want

But the basics are always there. Need to steal a bit of milk or a slice of bread? No embarrassing group chat message necessary. You can still cook all your own meals but if you accidentally burn it, undercook it or somehow manage both, there is always something in the freezer. Live-at-home students also don't have to experience the horrors of a student fridge when its contents pass the sell by date.

A constant supply of milk

A constant supply of milk

You make friends all over the place

While flat families can be a ready-made, super close friendship group for those who get on, living at home means you tend to make lots of small friendship groups in various places. You have your course friends, society friends, sports team friends, friends from home all within close proximity. It can be difficult keeping up with everyone but you always know there will be something happening if you fancy going out, and you know they're not only inviting you because you live across the hall. The best bit is when they all finally meet, you realise you have a uni family too.

It's cheaper

Paying your share of board and food still usually costs less than living in a city centre flat, and you don't have to pay for an expensive train fare every time you want to come home. Plus you can keep the same job all year round and thus have a stable income. In fact employers will be more likely to hire you if they know you're not going to be disappearing for a month at Christmas or leaving in the summer. This frees up more money to spend on taxis home after a night out, or drinks to convince your uni friends to let you crash on their sofa.

You know who you're living with

This one seems obvious but it is actually one of the best bits about staying at home. Most people who choose to live at home know (and like) their family, so there is no risk of spending thousands of pounds a year to live across from people who turn out to be the opposite of what you want. If you want to spend a whole weekend cracking out an assignment, you can do so without interruption.

You can dry your washing however you want to

You have more money and time to visit friends

If your mates are at other unis you can go and spend the weekend with them which means you get to explore new cities all around the country. Plus you get much closer with any friends who stayed at home to work or for a gap year, making you do things outside of your usual uni bubble.

You don't have to move about all the time

There's no need to risk breaking a hip lugging suitcases and bookshelves half way across the country every few months. You can also relax knowing you never have to try and sort out a new flat each year. You know your home and your room isn't going anywhere so you can get properly settled and keep all your stuff is in one place for the duration of your studies.

You never have to see sites like this…

You never have to see sites like this…

You decide your own 'full uni experience'

If you'd rather remember uni for all those societies you joined and your course, rather than that one flatmate who blasted trap music at 4am on a Tuesday, you can. No one is there to tell you to buy a £50 freshers wristband or insist that you watch Bake Off as a flat. You decide what you do with your time and who you spend it with. And if that time is preferred spent in the bath watching a TV series, no one can stop you.