Uni hands out safety alarms to students

It’s part of a drive to reduce crime

safety students union

Safety alarms are being handed to students across this week and next by Sheffield University and South Yorkshire Police, as part of a new safety drive.

The alarms are just one part of a drive to improve students' personal safety and home security. The University and Police are also spreading awareness of the dangers of drugs.

University and Police representatives will be on and around campus this week and next, talking to students and spreading safety advice.

The new drive comes after news that Sheffield Students' Union are implementing tighter security measures on their Union events, including sniffer dogs and ID scanners for particular nights.

The Head of Security Services at the University of Sheffield said: “Sheffield is regularly seen as one of the safest cities in the UK but unfortunately there are some people who see students as an easy target for crime, particularly at the start of the new academic year.

“This year we are on-hand providing advice on how students can keep their belongings and accommodation safe from theft. We’re also providing information on the steps they can take to ensure their own personal safety and well being is protected, including how to report crime and receive support if you are a victim of crime.”