University of Sheffield up five places on last year in world university rankings

Hallam was ranked 801 – 1000

The Times have today released their higher education world rankings league table today, and the University of Sheffield was ranked 104th in the world, and 13th best university in the UK. It beat the likes of Leeds, Birmingham and St Andrews.

It's up five places on last year's score, when the university was ranked 109th best in the world.

The University of Sheffield's arts and humanities faculty was ranked as 54th best in the world, the same ranking as last year.

The league table also shows that the University of Sheffield has nearly 25,000 students, 36 per cent of whom are international students.

The league table takes into account the quality of research done at the university, the standard of teaching and universities' international outlook.

However, despite Hallam being the sixth largest university in the world, it was ranked between 801-1000, with their standard of research handed a 10.8 out of a possible score of 100.