All the things to return to Sheffield for this summer

If you don’t go to Tramlines are you even a Sheffield student?

festival sheffield summer tramlines

A couple of weeks have passed since the end of term, and by now the charm of being home has gone. Your mum is annoying you, none of your friends will go to the pub, the Saturday job you’ve had since you were 16 now just seems degrading. Each day you send the same text to your best friend – “I miss Sheffield”

Time to accept the truth and head back to your adopted home. Here’s a list off all the things going on this summer that are worth the train fare.

Gigs

The Seamonsters at The Rocking Chair – 30th June

Local Sheffield girl band have recently released their debut single ‘Lost (and Found)’ which is a summer banger. With good stage presence, a loyal group of fans, and a promising future, definitely a band to catch so you can brag about it when they get famous.

Catfish And The Bottlemen at Don Valley Stadium – 14th July

Chances are all the wastemen turned indie kids have sold out your hometown show, or your village is too irrelevant, but tickets are still available for Sheffield. Yes maybe the second album was no were near as good, yes they might be trash people, but its sure to be a big show with an electric atmosphere.

DMAs at Plug – 26th July

You’ve probably heard their song on FIFA, and you probably love ‘Delete’. Although they’re from Sydney, the band have a definite Britpop vibe and have been likened to early Oasis. With a cult following, and the attitude of the 90s with tracksuits and everything, it’s set to be a good show.

Tramlines – 21st-23rd July

Tramlines is on its fourth release on tickets so you better nab one soon. With a huge, varied lineup ranging from The Libertines, to All Saints, to Twin Atlantic, as well as showcase loads of up and coming local bands, Tramlines will take over the city. It’s an ideal opportunity to reunite the group, trash your new house and have a couple days away from home with a good soundtrack. Tickets are only £49.50, bargain for that lineup.

Even if you don’t fancy the festival, it’ll be worth travelling up just for the after parties. The Harley are throwing a 65 hour long, all-weekend party which is only £5 for a weekend ticket. Or head to Hope Works two day rave for £15 for the weekend. Sheffield will be buzzing again, so make your way there.

Films

Floating cinema – 1st-3rd July

A floating cinema is mooring in Victoria Quays for the weekend, showing a film each night completely free. Opening at 8pm with music, food and a bar, and the film starting at 9pm, this is a cute option for a friend reunion or a weekend with your boo. Bring some blankets, get cosy.

Indie Flicks at Sentinel Brewery – 5th July

The monthly independent film festival returns and is always a hit. It started in Manchester in 2015, then extended to Liverpool and Sheffield, hosting a line-up of films each month. Watch some films, vote for your fave and get yourself a drink while you’re there.

Dirty Dancing at Sheffield Amphitheatre – 24th August

Date night goals. Tickets are £14.50 but come on guys this is cute AF. If romance isn’t your thing, they’re also showing Top Gun on the 23rd. 

Culture

Sheffield Pride at Endcliffe Park – 29th July

Head back to the city to celebrate love, acceptance and solidarity. Whether you’re part of the LGBT+ community, or simply an ally, come and stand together, party together.

Wine and Cheese festival – 25th-28th August

My two fave things, it’s a must. Venue is yet to be announce, but clear your schedule for the bank holiday, the brie won’t eat itself.

Leadmill Comedy Club – 2nd August

Leadmill’s monthly comedy night showcases the best stand-up talent from around the country. Individual tickets for £6 or you can gather a squad and book a table for £28, this is perfect for a little house bonding when connections might be slacking with the distance.

Any excuse to return really.