BNOC of the Year 2017: First Year Special

Get voting!!

Since nominations opened earlier this month, we have been inundated with applications telling us who they think the biggest name on campus has been this year in Sheffield.

Here we present to you our first group, all of whom are freshers at the University of Sheffield.

Rory, History

First up we have our rugby playing mancunian, Rory. He managed to pick up the nickname of “BNOC” fairly early on in his student career. If you’re from the north, he probably knows you, or you will definitely know him. Somehow, girls seem to be attracted to his funny-yet-poor chat. Also, earlier this year, to get the role of “fresher liaison” in the rugby society, he wet himself during his speech in front of about 40 people. Nonetheless, he managed to win “Best Fresher” for the Sheffield University Rugby Club, but surely that must have been a joke?

He can’t walk out of the door without knowing half the people on the street, and people are drawn to this life and soul of the party. Known by some as ‘The Virginity Killer’, he’s been known to take innocent girls and turn them into something wild.

Joseph Busby, Politics

An overall “sound guy” and a proud member of the American Football Team, Joseph is a leader on and off the pitch. Everyone loves to have a photo with him and to spend their Wednesday nights at Roar with him. Joseph can often be found running from Crookes Church to Walkabout regularly on a Sunday as well.

Eve Rosser, Chemical Engineering

Eve is already known as being a “Big Comedian On Campus”, and her punchline is often “Come on, I’m just jokes”. Despite having wet herself in six beds after nights out, sometimes with a lad in there with her, she gets the party going and knows how to have a good time.

Caolan Gander, Aerospace Engineering

Described by his nominator as “the funniest person I’ve ever met”, he has somehow managed to stay at university despite only going to three lectures in 2017. He was diagnosed with “alcohol abuse, a urine infection and under the influence of marijuana” earlier on in the year after walking to the hospital on his own thinking he was having a heart attack.

Ben Warner, Journalism

Ben loves a pint, and everyone loves him for it. Many freshers spend hours upon hours hanging out at the Edge in Endcliffe, but very few are known by name by all of the bar staff like he is. He’s friendly with all the regulars in the Edge, and if you ever have a pint or watch the football with him, you’ll often find he’s wandered off, table-hopping to chat to his many groups of friends and acquaintances.

He’s the newly appointed ‘Head of News’ for Forge Press, and Warner’s influence spreads beyond the walls of his favourite bars and pubs. Plus, as a devoted Mancunian, Warner’s obsession with Manchester City, Oasis and the Stone Roses gives him a deep bond with everyone he meets from the city. Just make sure you don’t talk to him about Man Utd or Blur.

For Ben, last Halloween really was a scary experience. Expecting to go to the Halloween Freak’s Fest at the Union, he instead drank two bottles of vodka and was found taking a leak outside a block of flats. He then fell asleep leaning against the wall and had to be carried to bed.

Holly Phipps, English Literature

Everyone knows Holly and Holly knows everyone. She’s the ultimate “Mum” in the friendship group, and everyone has a story about how she’s helped them out or just generally improved their life. She once knew every single person in her seminar group.

Paddy Bloor, Biochemistry

Whether you know him because he added you on Facebook at the beginning of term (apparently, he added the whole of Sheffield on Facebook) or you’ve heard of him through mad Stephenson Hall stories due to his massive pre-drinks party in A block, he’s Sheffield’s biggest BNOC and never turns down a sesh. Once, at pre drinks, he hit his hockey stick into his wall, punched it three times and wrote ‘cunt’ outside a boy’s door in carpet cleaner.

John Ikonomidis, Politics and International Relations

Also known as “Greek John”, in Freshers week, him and his new flatmates were invited to a BBQ, only to realise that it was a Christian Union gathering after witnessing the churchyard as they all approached. They all engaged in conversation, and while they were all talking with this one guy for 20 minutes, John turns around and says, “So, can I ask a very inappropriate question?” The poor man responds, “Inappropriate? Yeah, sure mate.” John continued to ask, “I assume girls here at the church are very conservative, so does that mean that they only do anal?” It didn’t go down well.

Isaac Wallbridge, Medicine

No matter who you are, if you have a look on Facebook, you will have mutual friends with Isaac. Isaac is known as a lover of the ‘koala’ pose. He’s been spotted in various locations, such as Poptarts, koala-ing with the opposite sex. With an innocent appearance to friends, his best-friends know his devilish side that comes out after a few blue pints in Corp. After one school uniformed event, he overdid it and was sick on his own tie, which stuck himself with the infamous one liner of “Isaac’s overdone it, na na na naaaaa” which is often chanted repeatedly by the masses.