Everything that happens when you visit your best friend at their uni

It’s a rite of passage

You’re swamped with uni work so naturally you decide it’s the perfect time to make that long awaited trip to visit your mate from home at their university. You should probably pop home to see your mum instead but your friend has been persistently nagging you to come down so like the dutiful friend that you are, you hop on a train for a reunion that will undoubtedly be an eventful one…

The compulsory snapchat

You accidentally get very very drunk

One of you makes the sensible suggestion to go for quiet drinks at the local pub or depending on the budget, you’ll treat yourself to cocktails. This may seem like a civilised evening and the chance to snap a cute picture for Instagram picture but you have so much to catch up on that before you know it you’ve taken full advantage of the 2-4-1 cocktails and decide to embark upon the all important quest for the perfect drunk food.

Your mate has been bragging about their favourite takeaway so you bravely trust their drunken judgement but after that questionable pizza, you’ll probably come to the conclusion that it isn’t a patch on your local chicken shop back home.

It’s time to reveal some home truths

Still nursing a hangover from your ‘quiet’ drinks and wasting a day in bed, you arrive at pre-drinks a little worse for wear but this is your time to shine. You’ve got some cracking stories about your mate and this quickly becomes an intense game of never have I ever. Your pal may hate you for revealing she’s had a crush on Mark since freshers but it doesn’t matter because her mates love you – you’re a legend.

You’ve definitely made a good impression if you make it into a group photo

The all important night out

You’ve come to check out their nightlife and see what all the fuss is about but in your nervous attempt to make a good impression you’ve tried to keep up with their astonishing drinking habits and after only an hour you’re throwing up (hopefully in the bathroom). It’s something about being with your friend from home that means you don’t hold back. You insist they bring out a dark side in you because you’re not usually this bad back at your uni but there’s no chance of redeeming yourself now. You’ll never live it down and your friends’ housemates have probably already given you some horrific nickname.

There’s no escape, especially if there’s a group chat

You become best friends with their friends

Your mate gets trashed and doesn’t get let into the club (what an embarrassment) but you’ve bonded with these guys at pre-drinks and feel like you’ve known them for ages. You leave your mate behind and get ready to throw some shapes without them and by the end of the night you’ve all become best friends.

I only met these people four hours ago

The hot housemate

It’s inevitable, you’re meeting all their pals and there’s bound to be one that you like the look of a little bit too much. You got nice and cosy with them on the sofa whilst everyone else played ring of fire and you’ve learnt all about how he found himself on his gap year. Suddenly you’re working out if you can get with them on the sly without your friend noticing.

You have to decide whether it’s worth sleeping with their hot friend or do you want to visit them again? It’s a tough call but the decision will probably be made for you when you end up blackout drunk, passed out on your friends’ bed at 1am.

It’s an educational experience

You probably didn’t need to hear everything that was confessed at never have I ever but you’ve learnt a lot. At least you’ve picked up some new drinking games but you were too pissed to remember all the rules so trying to teach your own friends is probably a waste of time. You might have even picked up some new slang (someone try to explain what ‘pearler’ means again) but don’t even bother to use it on your own group chat unless you’re looking to be roasted.

After an emotional goodbye and promising to come back soon, you drag yourself onto the train. You were sure you’d do work on the journey home but you’re too hungover to even move from your seat for fear of being sick. Ultimately you accept that this weekend has left you with no dignity, a depleted bank account and a pile of uni work to catch up on.