A definitive list of places to visit and things to do in the Peak District

So many activities

A mere 20 minutes drive from Sheffield and 40 minutes on public transport, The Peak District National Park is a gem for students in Sheffield wanting to explore. If you haven’t already, what are you waiting for?

Villages

Bakewell

A beautiful market town in the heart of the peaks complete with independent shops, cafes and home of the annual Bakewell Show, the original Bakewell pudding and arts festival it is an ideal place to visit on a day off. Just an hour on the bus from town. Surrounded by idyllic countryside, great for hiking.

Castleton

Site of the famous Blue John Cavern Castleton is perfect for those looking for adventure, trek through the caverns deep underground they show the history of the peaks having first been discovered by the Romans 2000 years ago.

Eyam

Commonly known as the Plague Village, complete with museums, cafes and B and B’s. The rich history of Eyam is fascinating due to the villagers who lived there who quarantined themselves to prevent the plague from spreading, well worth a visit.

Places to visit 

Chatsworth

A beautiful country estate in the heart of the Peak District, complete with farmyard, playground, cafes and gardens. Perfect for picnics, walks, and is the host of the annual horse trials and Christmas Fair.

https://instagram.com/p/BQItXpvBzlX/

Fox House

Famous country pub on the edge of the Peaks, an amazing selection of beers and great food, the best stop after a long country walk

Hathersage

A village with an open air pool in Hope Valley, where you can swim and enjoy the views of the countryside.

Activities

Go Ape 

Although just outside of the Peak District this forest climping  adventure playground is an action packed day out travelling in the tree tops

Rock Climbing 

For the more sporty adventurers rock climbing, bouldering and paragliding is also available in the Peaks at Stannage Edge. Great for an alternative day out.

Water sports

At Carsington Water Sports centre just outside of the Peak District you can windsurf, sail and kayak all with reach by public transport!

https://instagram.com/p/BJvpVxygsu7/