Sheffield Uni has proposed two new buildings for Broomhill

Let us pray its better than the Diamond

Plans for two new buildings for the University of Sheffield have been submitted. A new state of the art social sciences hub and a new three storey sports centre have been proposed for Northumberland Road, Broomhill.

The social science building, which will house the University’s biggest department, will become the new home for the faculty, if approved. The building will feature both research and teaching facilities.

The planned sports centre would replace the existing Goodwin Sports centre and will host an even bigger gym and a brand new swimming pool. The construction will help to create around 220 jobs per year in the area. If given approval, both buildings can be in operation by 2020.

The university have done a survey asking local residents and students about the proposed buildings, with some commenting that “it is a very eye-catching design! I like the use of lots of glass which gives it a very open look and plenty of reflection”. With others, the proposed building did not go down so well with someone calling it an “architectural catastrophe”. We will have to wait and see which way it falls.

Photo credits: The University of Sheffield