Sheffield is the third most burgled university in the UK

One in three students fall victim of crime across the country

A survey by Locksmith Service has revealed that Sheffield is the third most burgled university in the UK, recording just over 700 burglaries within a one-mile radius of the university.

The study looked at 25 universities in the country outside of London. The research found out how many burglaries had occurred within a one-mile radius of the central point of each university campus between January and November 2016.

Taking the crown for the most burgled university was Manchester, with a frightening 822 burglaries within a one-mile radius. Second place went to another Northern heavyweight, Leeds University, which had 799 recorded incidents.

The lowest was Durham which had a dramatically low 96 recorded incidents between January and November 2016.

In a second survey, which received 2000 responses, they also discovered that 64 per cent of students admitted to leaving valuable possessions, such as electronic items and wallets out in plain sight.

Shockingly, 48 per cent said they do not lock their front door before everyone goes to sleep, and 59 per cent of responses said they don’t bother or forget to check if their windows are closed before leaving their house.

It is shocking how high the statistics are, but there are easy ways to combat burglary which take minimal effort, for example getting into the routine of checking windows and doors are locked, getting old locks changed, and leaving lights on when everyone is out of the house.

For more information on keeping your house safe, head to Locksmith Service’s website