Everything you need to know about Bluewave

The people behind some of the Steel city’s best nights out

With Sheffield well and truly putting itself on the map in the last year musically, here is your chance to get acquainted with Bluewave, some of the people helping to make it happen.

What kind of music do you predominately book?

In our history we’ve predominantly booked garage and grime DJs but we’re flexible to a lot of genres. Our residents play garage, grime, dubstep, bassline, drum and bass and jungle. We’re also prone to droppin’ a few bashment and dancehall bangers as well!

How did you guys get started?

We got started as three mates at University who found themselves bunnin’ up and mixing all the time trying to get people to party with us when they were meant to be going to lectures. So we just thought we’d try throw some parties down at The Harley and it’s gone from there really.

Lovin’ it.

What do you want your nights to say/feel?

One thing we really aim for is for our nights to feel communal and inclusive. We want to bring people together for the love of the music and for everyone to dance together and meet new people.

Who would be the act you most want to book in the future?

There is absolutely loads we’d love to book. A big one we ticked off was Plastician at our summer carnival back in June, he was such a nice guy as well and played an incredible set. If I had to choose three it would probably be M. J. Cole, P Money and Coki.

Favourite venue?

Our favourite venue is The Harley, we love the whole feel of the place and have so much respect for the amount of top quality artists they put on every single week. The bar staff are all super friendly and the best thing about the place is the intimacy. Pretty Pretty Good booked Loefah in there not long ago and that was sick to see such a big artist play in that setting. Got to give a shout out to The Night Kitchen as well, we’ve had plenty of messy ones in there.

Check the lighting on that.

Highlight of upcoming events?

On the 9th December we have Metalheadz don Jubei booked to play at two hour set at The Harley. However there is a twist to this night, we’ll be transforming the venue into a jungle for a setting to party in, it’s gonna be absolutely nuts, trust us! Another 90s nights with a true legend is in the works, and we have a sick MC who is doing serious bits right now booked in for next year as well. There might be (definitely will be) a huge warehouse night next year we’ll be running as well so keep your eyes peeled for that. We’re also now running events in London and have UK garage selecta Scott Garcia in Islington on the 10th December.

If you feel like you want to get yourself to one of Bluewave’s nights, look no further than their event at the Harley tonight, In the Jungle with Jubei (Metalheadz),which is sure to be fab. Tickets available here.