Drop everything, Sheffield Uni are hiring a £29,000 a year beekeeper

Count me in

Tired of slaving away for 10 hours a day in the IC? Overwhelmed by endless applications for grad schemes? You’re in luck, The University of Sheffield are on the hunt for a part time Beekeeper.

The position is being offered at a whopping £25,298 – £29,000 a year, with potential to progress to £32,004. Buzzing.

You will need a BBKA to apply, that being a British Beekeepers Association diploma, but we’re sure that would be better than slogging away at your dry History dissertation.

Just imagine, you could still live the Sheffield dream, yet not be forking out £9,000 a year to watch Powerpoints. You could tend to bees in the morning, have a Johns Van for lunch, then hit up Pop Tarts in the evening. Forget your internships now.

“I didn’t choose the bee life, the bee life chose me”

The job advertisement outlines the job as: “The Department of Computer Science has a position is available for an experienced Beekeeper to work on an Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) funded project.

“This is an opportunity to work with a strong focused team who will be developing robotic controllers for aerial robots.

“The role will involve at least weekly inspections of three to four bee colonies as well as tri-annual health inspections, pest and disease management and honey extraction. This post offers the right candidate a flexible working role and the satisfaction of establishing and maintaining a healthy set of hives.

“Candidates are expected to hold a BBKA diploma, as well as having significant previous experience of beekeeping and be flexible in their approach to work”.

We don’t know about you, but our applications are in already.