Why we need to talk about mental health in university sport

In 2014 there were a recorded 6,122 suicides, 78 per cent of those were men

The most likely cause of death of men between 18-30 is suicide. There are many theories surrounding this, for instance, the fact that men are less likely to talk about their own mental health with peers, or whether men are subjected to different social pressures  compared to women.

However, one of the more alarming facts is that suicide rates amongst male sports players, especially those who play professionally, have a significantly higher than average suicide rate.

Whilst students who play university sports may not value the importance of having strong mental health as much as, say, their professional counterparts, it’s important that they appreciate the importance of keeping a strong mental attitude. After playing big matches, people may feel anxious or have a big adrenalin rush which can be difficult to know how to cope with, and injury, even at university level, can cause you to feel down or helpless.Furthermore, university students can feel pressure from different areas in their life. If it isn’t peer problems, it’s issues with coursework, or home life, plus the influence of drink and drugs on their health.

State of Mind was set up in 2011 in order to talk to young men about the importance of their mental health. They came to talk to the University of Sheffield rugby league team on Thursday. They stressed the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle and having good mental health in order to help with your physical strength and ability.

Dr Phil Cooper, an NHS nurse who presented the talk, encouraged that men need to be able to talk more openly about their feelings, and also recognise and identify problems with their mental health, be it stress, anxiety or even depression.

According to Danny Johnson, the University of Sheffield’s Rugby League captain, he suggested that mental health problems can often be “overlooked” and that “at all levels and across all sports, whether amateur or professional, there can be an emphasis on mental toughness in the pursuit of victory that forces athletes to cover up their struggles in difficult times.”

Danny added: “The thing is, everyone goes through tough times, knowing you’re not alone can be the crucial first step to working your way out.”

For more information, click here.