Which is the best student area of Sheffield to live in?

It’s time to put an end to this debate

Whether you’re loyal to the more mainstream Crookesmoor and Broomhill, or are loving life in a nicher location like Upperthorpe, we all know it can get pretty territorial in Sheffield.

But it’s ime for you to battle it out, and decide once and for all; which is the best area to live in in Sheffield. Cast your votes for your fave neighborhood.

Crookesmoor

First up is student area heavyweight Crookesmoor, a Sheffield classic. Home to possibly the most concentrated area of students in Sheff, chances are you’re living ridiculously close to all your mates. With three pubs, a Sainsbury’s, a Co-op and even the glorious 24hr off-licence, Ozmans, it’s got amenities aplenty – making it the ideal student area in Sheffield. Crookesmoor has its quirks too with Alyssum, which is a really cute cafe, and Beanies is great for cheap fruit and veg.

The main downside is walking back from uni because the hill is very steep, but tell us something we don’t know about Sheffield.

Sainsbury’s – the heart of Crookesmoor

Crookes

Crookes is hardly the most accessible but your thighs will definitely feel the benefit of all those late night hikes back from the library. When it snows it’s hell on earth, a frozen wasteland, but the shops are well stocked, charity shops means lots of wavy winter garms and there’s a tonne of organic shops (and a Fulton foods for those broke ass days).

The only snag with Crookes is trying to get people to pre so far out, although you’ll definitely not have to worry about a one night stand skipping out in the middle of the night as it’s a long walk down bitch. Another benefit of Crookes is Bole Hill is perfect for your Instagram autumnal shots and when it snows your where the party is at. The gardens in Crookes are also huge so come tramlines time you’ll be very popular, shame about the rest of the year though. At least people can’t hear you scream up in Crookes or crying when nobody turns up to your mountaineering style pres.

Quintessentially Crookes

Broomhill

Although many of your mates might jump ship to Crookes, it’s best to stick to something tried and tested. That something is Broomhill. Boasting the S10 postcode and the local legend that is Dan Bean, familiarity is what makes this area the most appealing. While it’s not always the one for the waistline, Broomhill’s spectrum of eateries means you’ll never be without a solid takeaway or hangover grub. From Broomhill Friery and the Notty’s famous pies to a 3am sit down jalfrezi at Balti King, the selection is unrivalled.

The convenience of many supermarkets, pubs and hairdressers is also spot on and you can carry on with the same route to uni that you’ve become so accustomed to. Throw the spacious housing into the mix and Broomhill is a real winner. Relive all the memories of first year without the confines of student accommodation.

A supermarket comfort blanket

Broomhall

“Hills? What hills?” cackle those living in Broomhall, at the foot of the mountain that is Broomhill. Broomhall is situated between Eccy Road and uni, making it the dream place to live. Imagine living so close to uni that you can leisurely roll out of bed at 8:45 for your 9am. Yes there’s an intimidating gang presence at times, but your local food haunts are The Harley and Street Food Chef on one side, and all of Eccy Road at your disposal on the other. Plus, you’ve got the aesthetically pleasing area of Collegiate Crescent to stroll down on your way to the botanical gardens – delightful.

Never again will you need to get a taxi to or from da club. Indulge in your stroll home eating those cheesy chips and gravy, in smug knowledge that you’ll be in bed in 10 minutes.

Crookesmoor may be popular, by why join the bandwaggon when it’s clearly not superior?

Look how bloody close to uni you could live

Upperthorpe

‘Where’s Upperthorpe?’ I hear you say, and rightly so – if truth be told Upperthorpe isn’t quite the bustling student area that Crookesmoor is. Nestled just down the hill from Crookesmoor, running parallel to Ponderosa park, it’s more of an estate with families and such, but dribs and drabs of students wind up there (often by accident).

But let’s not focus on all the negatives, Upperthorpe houses are often cheaper and bigger than those in Crookesmoor and it is bursting with corner shops and takeaways, perfect for any post-lash feast. It is also home to that big Tescos at the bottom of the hill, and it’s conveniently right by the tram stop. Yep, that’s pretty much it for the benefits.

Ain’t she a beauty?

Ecclesall Road

Eccy Road truly is ‘The Golden Mile’ for everyone, including students. With an abundance of pubs and cocktail bars, there’s a plethora of choice when all you want is a crisp glass of Pinot or the sweet taste of an IPA. And for when you’ve drunk slightly too much, there’s a drunk snack for every palette – be it the fast food of Taco Bell or the £3 meal deal of the nearby Tesco. If essays ever get too much you can go and relax in the Botanical Gardens or Endcliffe Park, with both offering an overflow of relaxing, natural spaces. Convenience and lavishness live side-by-side on this stretch of Sheffield, where everything you could possibly want is within a ten minute stroll of your humble abode.