Over half of you think consent classes should be compulsory

Although 46 per cent think they are patronising

In The Tab’s recent survey on sexual assault, rape culture, and consent it has be revealed that 53 per cent of students at Sheffield University think consent classes should be compulsory.

However, 46 per cent of those who answered deem classes to be patronising, finding they are explaining the obvious.

At the start of the year Sheffield University announced that they would be introducing ‘consent conversations’, moving away from the formal workshop format, instead having informed conversations about consent.

This was an attempt to make discussions about consent feel less patronising, and in fact avoid being hypocritical as it would be slightly contradictory to argue for the idea of consent, and then tell people that they don’t have a choice but to participate.

These ‘consent conversations’ are being held throughout first year halls of residence are part of the university’s aims to promote awareness regarding the reality of sexual harassment on campus and in general society.

It is interesting that 46 per cent still deem consent classes patronising though, despite the university’s ploy to avoid this. Perhaps widening consent conversations to the rest of the university would alter this, as opposed to targeting first years.