An A-Z of Sheffield University

Sheffield in 26 glorious letters

A – Abbeydale Picture House

A is for Abbeydale Picture House, a great bar serving classic Italian cuisine. The beautiful picture house itself often shows silent movies at great prices. Go here for an awesome alternative night out.

B – Balti King 

Nestled in the heart of Broomhill, the legendary BK is a staple in anyone’s visit to Sheffield. Balti King is the only place in Sheffield where you can get a sit down curry at 3am, complete with all the trimmings and a bottle of wine. We recommend the £10 meal deal for two.

C – Corporation

This iconic Sheffield nightclub had to make an appearance; the famed Corp juice, school uniform, that distinct smell, and the rainbow challenge all make Corp one of the most messy and memorable nights in the Steel City.

Hands up if you love Corp

D – Dan Bean

No guide to Sheffield would be complete without mentioning the man, the myth, the legend, that is Dan Bean. Nephew of Sean Bean, owner of Broomhill Friary, heartbreaker, and yogo pro – and now The Tab’s official agony uncle. Complete legend.

E – Endcliffe Cat 

A furry local legend that prowls the grounds of Endcliffe and Ranmoor. This kitty is the most pampered cat in Sheffield, being lured into flats daily with the promise of food and affection. Living the dream.

F – Forum Cafe Bar

Situated on Devonshire Street, this bar is great for a night out on a Friday or Saturday with £3.95 cocktails during happy hour. It is also gold for a quiet lunch with a great selection of food or coffee in the afternoon. It’s outside smoking area with feature tiles overlooking Devonshire Green is lovely in summer.

G – The Green Room

Situated close to the Forum on Devonshire Street, this is a quaint cosy pub that often features live music on a Saturday. It is a great place for real ales, and their breakfasts are to die for.

H – Hendersons Relish

Trying Hendersons Relish is mandatory for any Sheffield student, no exceptions. A quintessentially Sheffield accompliment to any dish. Their old factory is being turned into a bar on campus too, happy days.

https://instagram.com/p/BJGbHgdhkMZ/

I – Institute of Arts Gallery

A collection of local art work and visiting artists, with exhibitions of contemporary fine art and graphic design. It is very quirky and interesting and admission is free. Get your culture fix here.

J –  Johns Van

A beacon of hope for any hungover student battling their way to a 9am, John’s Van provides us with the best greasy spoon grub. Bacon sarnie and a cuppa for £2? Yes please. You can keep your New Leaf, keep your Sainos meal deal – we’re on team John.

K – Kelham Island Museum

This industrial museum features impressive displays that show off Sheffield’s steel heritage. It’s great to see if you want to know a little more about the city.

L – Lucky Fox

A stunning cheap local eatery on Divison Street, serving epic food including fried chicken, a brunch selection and awesome milkshakes. Piled high with a donut, brownies and drizzled in chocolate sauce, the milkshakes here are the highlight to any treat day. This place is perfect for hangover food.

M – Marmadukes Cafe Deli

Located in the centre of Sheffield, this beautiful cafe deli is a little more expensive, but the classic wooden interior, artisan coffee and local food more than make up for it. The halloumi and herb burger is to die for.

N – The Night Kitchen

This unique studio come club space has a great atmosphere and is an awesome place to party. The art and sculptures in the smoking areas, video game room, and one way system in the club makes it a particularly unusual club. If these weren’t enough the venue attracts incredible acts from bassline DJ set to reggae live music.

O – The Old House

Situated on Division Street, this lovely bar has a quaint interior and good selection of drinks – they have over 100 types of gin. The thought alone of their varying pies-of-the-day are enough to make you drool.

P – Peak District

Arguably the most stunning  national park in England and only a 15 minute drive from Endlciffe Village. Whack your walking boots on an indulge in peaks whilst you’ve got the chance. Plus it’s an excuse to had a proper country pub lunch.

Q – The Quays 1819

This cute riverside cafe in Victoria Quays, serves teas, coffees and lunch, perfect for a relaxing afternoon exploring the city.

R – The Riverside

On the banks of the River Don sits this traditional Sheffield pub with a lovely outdoor terrace overlooking the river. It serves great home cooked food, real ales and cocktails and often has live music and events. It’s not in the student area but we highly recommend you pay it a visit.

S – The Showroom

Showroom is a classic old fashioned cinema and bar/cafe with lovely food, a quirky interior, hosting a wealth of food, film and music festivals throughout the year alongside featured independent films.

T – Tramlines Festival

Tramlines is the highlight to any Sheffield dweller’s year – the three day inner city music festival descends on the city late in July. Main stage is in Ponderosa park, but unlike most festivals, venues around town act as stages engulfing the whole city with the festival vibes. Headliners this year were Dizzee Rascal, Kelis, and Catfish and the Bottlemen.

U- Union

Sheffield Students’ Union is number one in the country so how could we resist putting it in our A-Z? Whether it’s Bar One, Grill n Go, or ROAR, the union always delivers.

V – Vulgar

A funky multi coloured vintage clothes store, Vulgar is a little pricy but offers unique vintage clothing in the heart of Sheffield. Plus they have a designer section at the back where you can find some absolute gems.

10/10 for the taxidermy fox in the window

W – West Street Live

Otherwise known as the holy land – West Street Live is dear to everyone’s hearts. Dirty, sticky and, most importantly, cheap, West Street Live has played host to many great nights out.

X- X-ray at Northern General

Anyone who has had to go all the way to Northern General for A&E will be haunted by how far out of the city it is, but many a student has had to visit whether it’s been from falling over drunk, cutting a finger whilst cooking, accompanying a friend or for something more serious. Whilst it may not be ideal, it is kind of a rite of passage.

Y- Yellow Arch

The birthplace of Arctic Monkeys now runs regular nights out. This cool venue is perfect for intimate nights out with niche music. They throw jazz nights on the last Sunday of every month, with live music and dancing.

Z- Zine Fest

Sheffield Zine Fest was founded four years ago and it comes to Sheffield once a year around April to celebrate zines and zine culture.