Only 21 per cent of Sheffield University students are from a working class background

Hallam admits double the number we do

In findings by HESA, boffins in higher education and data analysis, it’s been discovered that 21.1% of students at Sheffield University are from a working class background.

Roughly one in five students are from a working class upbringing, putting Sheffield as the 17th worst university, out of 64, for admitting those from a more disadvantage background.

Sheffield Hallam put us to shame by being built up of 40.8% students from a working class background, almost double the amount than the Sheffield Russel Group does.

It is surprising how poorly Sheffield ranks as it was originally founded as a civic university, founded to be accessible to those from a lower socio-economic background in the city.

It comes as absolutely no surprise that Oxford and Cambridge, at 10% 10.2% respectively, are the worst universities for admitting students from a working class background. Other typically ‘rah’ universities including Bristol, Durham, Exeter and St Andrews fall just behind.

Southampton Solent University come out on top at 43.8%.

Universities have always been seen to perpetuate the class divide, but it seems that this problem is still prevalent today.