Over £4k raised in memory of Hallam second year who died in halls
She died from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome in September
A charity fundraising page set up in memory of a Hallam second year who suddenly died in halls has reached over £4,000.
Olivia Mae Woodward, who was studying international events management at Sheffield Hallam University, died from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome in September.
Olivia had only just returned back to Sheffield to continue her studies and had ambitions to pursue a career in wedding planning.
Her body was found on Sunday 25th September in The Exchange Works accommodation on Arundel Street.
Olivia was described as ‘beautiful inside and out’ and said to be ‘so happy to be going back to university’ to meet all her friends again.
A fundraising page, set up by Olivia’s boyfriend Charlie and her younger sister Annabelle, has now received donations of over £4,000 and many touching messages of support for the family.
Annabelle has poignantly posted a message thanking people for visiting her page and donating in memory of her sister: “My beautiful big sister and also Charlie’s girlfriend passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on Sunday morning.
“No one got to say goodbye, so Charlie Gilbert and myself would like to help this charity to prevent this from happening to any other families in remembrance to her.”
Despite being perfectly fit and active, the SADS condition caused Olivia to have an unexpected fatal cardiac arrest.
The fundraising page stresses that 12 young people die every week across the UK from undiagnosed heart conditions – no prior symptoms will be displayed in 80 per cents of these deaths.
Donations are in aid of Cardiac Risk in the Young, which supports families that have suffered a loss due to the devastating syndrome. Counselling is given to bereaved families, while tests and research are provided to help diagnose the condition in other people.
Paying tribute to her daughter shortly after her death, Olivia’s mum spoke about her efforts to now raise the profile of the syndrome in young people: “Sads isn’t something people are aware of which is why we want to raise awareness of it, we just want people to know about it.
“I think all teenagers and young people should get checked for it.”