Lib Dems have now backed efforts to save the University Arms

Could be demolished to make way for ‘Campus Masterplan’

Sheffield Lib Dems have now called for councillors to rethink their rejection of campaigner’s plans to protect the University Arms.

Members of the Campaign for Real Ale had applied for the uni campus pub to be listed as an asset of community value, but this application was not approved by the council.

This ruling has now been challenged by the city’s Lib Dems hoping that the threatened student boozer and piece of  Sheffield’s heritage can both be preserved.

The pub on Brook Hill was first proposed for demolition as part of the university’s ten-year masterplan to spruce up the whole campus back in 2014.

The plans sparked outrage and emotional lines from those that felt the ‘beautiful building’ and venue for great ale should be kept standing, while many other students were simply not fussed and found the modern SU building to be far more appealing.

A successful bid for asset of community value or ACV would have safeguarded the University Arms, meaning it could not be knocked down or converted without planning permission to do so.

Lib Dem councillor for Crookes and Masters student, Adam Hanrahan, was left bewildered by the decision and has said: “Sheffield is well known worldwide and well loved for its outstanding beer and pub scene, and it’s well evidenced that Sheffield’s community pubs bring a huge social and economic benefit to our city.

“Sheffield’s Labour-run council say that they want to work with communities protect our community pubs but their actions show otherwise.

“Whilst they’ve accepted 10 nominations for ACVs they’ve rejected 13.”

The council’s reasoning for the rejection, such as a lack of evidence that the pub is well used or appreciated, were also highlighted by campaigners as just ‘plain wrong’.

The move will seem disappointing to many given that the Steel City has been named the best place to drink real ale for three consecutive years and the recent report finding it to be the real ale capital of the world, but perhaps new projects like the Henderson’s Relish pub show that the uni arms will not be able to cut it in the future.